Anybody else eats only once per day?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Jan 1, 2007.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    It has became my habit, usually breakfast only. Every time I get blood drawn at the VA they state that I am anemic, at 5'11" 227 I don't fit the anemic category in my opinion.

Breakfast will be either grits with sausage and eggs, plus sharp cheddar cheese; or I go to the local Subways and get their 3 biscuit sausage and gravy meal. There is no hunger later in the day.

Hypoglycemia has set in in the past - don't be in my way if I need to get to my food stash. It sets in in about 30 to 90 seconds, I keep a jar of peanut butter on my desk just for preventing this.

Sitting here now with my cast iron quart pot equipped with a serving size spoon, waiting for it to cool sufficiently to consume. I didn't put any eggs in this this morning, the skillet looked too greasy to put eggs in it. Splashed some (ever present) iced tea on the grits when I realized they were too dry. See, I can be as weird as you can.

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I pretty much eat two meals a day and maybe a snack. Just for health reasons you might want to make your biscuits 100% whole wheat and include something green in with your meal (other than mouldy meat/cheese). I know, its hard to eat any kind of balanced meal. Somedays anymore, I live on big batch of hotcakes or an omlette just cause its easy and I know my health suffers for it. Swear if TSC sold Purina Bachelor Chow in 50lb bags, I'd probably go for it. Then who knows, the thought of cold cereal turns my stomach anymore not to mention costing $5 for 25¢ worth of grain.

3. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I eat two meals a day, a small breakfast and a larger supper. I stopped eating lunch for good when I realized that I had more energy on days when I didn't eat lunch.

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

in a *mature* person, anemia usually doesn't mean an inadequate diet. it usually means you have some "occult" or hidden bleeding somewhere. have you had an endoscopy, from either end? the most common cause is gastrointestinal bleeding, like from an ulcer or a small tear in the intestine.

it's either that or an kind of rare disorder of the stomach lining in which nutrients aren't absorbed properly, called pernicious anemia. that is the kind that is helped by B12 shots. there is also an anemia of chronic disease, like kidney or liver disease. has your doctor ever mentioned any of these?

anemia doesn't have anyting to do with hypoglycemia or diabetes.

if you haven't already, you need further testing.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

I have one of those 'rotorooter' appointments scheduled, not sure exactly when but will be notified.

6. cowboyracer43

cowboyracer43 Well-Known Member

Hey Moopups. You had better start eating right and exercising -- vigorously. Your bouts of hypoglycemia are an immediate precursor of diabetes. Modern studies have shown that vigorous exercise will prevent the onset of this life changing condition. That was not known by the medical community when I was having "attacks" of hypoglycemia. My diet pre-diabetes? Breakfast with meat and eggs, topped off with a hunk of cheese on the way to the office. No lunch. A late, light supper except on Wednesdays when I had steak after golf. My exercise? See Wednesdays above.

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

I have had type 2 diabetes for about 6 years now, no med any more, got it controlled by diet. Just avoid any 'white' foods. Rice, bleached flour, potatoes, ect.

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Why do you only eat once a day? I don't get it.
    mary

9. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

One meal a Day? OMG no, LOL

I used to eat 3 squares a day. Then a nutritionist friend had me to try the mini-meals. I now eat tiny balance "meals" 6 times a day and I can't tell you how much better I feel. I never get hungry, hardly ever get tired, just feel so much better overall. My blood suger has really leveled out. Getting rid of the white foods is good for anyone, not just diabetics, that also helps me out. When I do eat some white food I feel yucky afterwards now. I used to eat them all the time and perhaps that was adding to my tiredness too.

Hope the Roto-Rooter test comes out ok for you

10. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

This sounds like it would wreak havoc on your blood sugar. I believe diabetics are supposed to eat little meals throughout the day....

11. WendyW.

WendyW. Well-Known Member

Also grits, biscuits and gravy are all very starchy and will spike your blood sugar. I know it's not fun because those are some of my favorite foods too but I have learned that I just cannot have them often.

12. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Perhaps--you could call it one meal a day---sun up to bed time all day long.

13. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I guess I eat 1 meal a day too, but my meal starts when I wake up and ends when I go to sleep. I eat constantly! I'm a grazer, I eat a little bit every hour or two, all day long. You'd think I'd gain weight doing that, but I stay around 130 to 135 year round. It's hard to set down and eat a meal cause I get full after a few bites.

14. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

When I am working out on the road I eat one meal a day. I find that once in a while I have a touch of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and it is much easier for me to not eat when I won't be near a bathroom. During those days I will wait until the evening meal and eat a HUGE dinner then, which I prefer anyway rather than eating smaller meals throughout the day which I do NOT find satisfying at all.

When I am not in the field I will usually eat a lunch at around 2 pm because I am finally starting to get hungry (sometimes 3 pm). It's usually a sandwich and chips. Again, I prefer to eat my daily calories at supper when I am free to pig out.

I read the book "The Warrior Diet" and the philosophy worked very well for me.

donsgal

15. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Everybody is different. That's why I don't understand why nutritionalists give everybody the same advice. Google "Warrior Diet" and you will see that eating little bits all day long might not be good for you. Personally, I ascribe to the Warrior Diet and it works beautifully for me. Although I do agree that highly processed foods are exceedingly bad.

donsgal

16. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Ditto, I eat all day.

17. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I couldn't do the one meal a day thing. I try to eat five smaller ones. Hope your med visit goes well.

18. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

Would you please tell what a "mini" meal actually is? This has always appealed to me but I've never found a menu (I know, I know) that explains how to go about the 6 "meals" per day. Your results sound fantastic!

19. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I eat small amounts all day. A cup of yogurt here, a baked sweet potato there, a handful of nuts, a hard boiled egg... I do sit down to a full dinner with Husband, which still isn't huge. I find eating this way really helps level out my blood sugar. For me, eating one big meal a day would put me in a complete stupor for several hours - then I'd be starving.

Every person is different. What works for one person may not work at all for the next.

20. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Anemic doesn't mean what you think it means.

Anemic means you don't have enough oxygen carrying capacity in your blood. The most common causes are iron deficiency or folate deficiency. The latter is also important because folate deficiency is thought to be involved in spina bifida and cleft palate, so it is important to keep up on folate if you are at 'risk' of becoming pregnant.

You can take supplements for these. For iron, cooking in cast iron cookware can solve the problem. You should ask your doctors what they attribute as the cause of the anemia and correct that. Eating once a day or many times a day doesn't matter for causing anemia.

add: whups, looks like marvella gave a more comprehensive answer already. :D