Anybody can learn to shear sheep.

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by John Hill, Mar 9, 2005.

1. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

So by "formal dress optional" do you mean we can dispense with the suit coat but not the tie? It's understood that nicely groomed hair is necessary.

3. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Highly polished hand-made shoes are essential too! Red face is optional.

Seriously, I give him full marks for having given it a go, he could have easily declined or worse cut a leather boot-lace off the 'subject'.

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

I've had the displeasure of shearing a few sheep in my time, but never have I seen such a lilly white sheep! And that floor! Doesn't look like any shearing shed floor I've ever seen.

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

He flew out of the country this afternoon. Don't you have to feel sorry for them though being asked to do things that that for the public image, and being all dressed up to kill. He would have stunk of wool for the rest of the day.

Bare, my sheep come off the shears looking just like that. While the shed as a whole will have been cleaned up for the visit, if the rousy doesn't keep the board clean and clear of wool, the shearer lets them know.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Bare, the floor gets shiny like that from having two tons of sheep dragged across it every day for a few weeks.

Yes, good shed hands keep the wool well swept up too. If they are doing their job properly they will sweep around as soon as the belly wool is off and the hind quarters trimmed. Whats left is all fleece and when it finally hits the floor you dont want it contaminated.