Anybody blood testing for pregnancy this year?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, Sep 25, 2006.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I am curious if anybody is pulling blood for pregnancy testing this year? I am doing it only so there is no guess work involved. I am thinking when I go to pull blood on testing the whole herd for CAE. What else should I test for? CL and Johnnes?

Also how many CC's blood is needed to send in for the tests? I know for the pregnency test it will have to be sent seperate as it goes to a differant place.

Thanks!

MotherClucker

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

mc what i test for is cae and cl. i don't test for johnes as this is not a very reliable test result. only way to get accurat result would be to send in some intestines after butchering.
    you can test for lot of things means spend a lot of money but is it justified?
    as for the pregnancy test, you have to send to different place. how important is it to spend $15 per goat for this test? will you get this money back when you sell the kids?
    i'm planning to do AI this year. that will be the only one i will test if she took or not.
    but this of course is only my opinion :)

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

4. GoldenWood Farm

It isn't really NEEDED to test these gals. I probably will only test 2 does. Vanilla and Toshanah as I REALLY want early kids out of these gals. I don't want to guess (did that and well...I ended up with late kids :grump: ). And maybe my two yearlings as I so far haven't seen really any signs of being in heat even though they have been with the buck and around a buck for a while now (almost a month) and their mothers and my older does are all in roaring heat :rolleyes: .

As I work it is hard when you don't know for sure if a doe is pregnent or not. For me at least...I like to know if the doe is for sure pregnent or not. No guessing around and what not. My other question I didn't ask on testing. Will the test results be screwed up if the doe is pregnent? I mean on CAE and CL testing?

I only want to test for what needs to be tested for. I know now many people around here test for Johnes so I figure I would be ok if I didn't test either.

MotherClucker

5. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh Ruth! Thank you! I have one of those that I had forgotten about. We used it for our hogs but have since moved on to better "toys" and we re using an ultrasound with pictures t preg check the sows. When I saw your post, I called Renco and they said that they could re-calibrate it for goats for about $50.
    It is going off in the mail tomorrow.

BTW, any body else out there with does that don't seem to want to come into heat? I have had a few come in and few that might have been in but it sure wasn't a very strong showing.

Tana Mc

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Thought I read somehwere that pergnancy can affect the CAE testing.

kids

7. GoldenWood Farm

Tana I have 4 whom don't seem to want to come into heat...well 5 :shrug: . Lets see...3 yearlings and 2 two year olds. I am about to pull my hair out! 2 of those yearlings are being bred to a leased buck....and well he goes back within a few days so I am like "COME ON WORK WITH ME!" :grump: :grump: :grump: .

MotherClucker

8. wardarden

wardarden Well-Known Member

Hey I'm having the same problem here in Middle Tennessee, but this is my first year to have goats so this is my first breeding season. My 4 y.o. doe bred last week but her 10 month old is just prancing around like she doesn't know a thing! It is odd that they would not have come into season by now? I too have a leased buck and I am ready to take his stinky self home! He is really sweet but just does not understand why I don't want to love on him like I do the girls!

9. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Good for you! What a deal. Those things cost a pretty penny new. My DH is wonderful. That was my birthday present (2 days after Christmas, when I got an AI kit as a gift.)

Ruth