Any wood carvers?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by jackie c, Jan 16, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Does any one carve wood here? I have dabbled in this and really enjoy it, I'm thinking of making some small carosel horses, about 12 inches high, and working my way up through rocking horses, to a full sized carosel one. I have books for each of these phases, and am interested in seeing some of your work, anything from duck decoys to life sized projects. I would also like to carve a 'wood spirit' to place at the entrance of my driveway, and maybe a life sized bear.

2. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

I've done some wood carving, mostly smaller, decorative pieces. I'm working on a hand-carved molding for the front door. It's -20F today so tonight will undoubtedly be a good time to sit by the fire and work on the rosettes for the corners. This way the chips, shavings, and um, 'practice' pieces don't have far to go.

I also carve flutes from wood salvaged from deadfall. The logs are air dried, hand rived, then worked into shape with a draw knife...suppose I should finish the shaving horse I started on last month. I try not to use power tools if at all possible but I admit that a power drill is used for the large sound hole, at least for now.

I haven't done any larger pieces of which you speak. I've been reading up on 3-D carvings, mostly wildlife and charicatures, and would also be interested in seeing pictures of other folk's work. Might give that a go this winter if I can find some patterns that I like. Have any good links for free patterns?

3. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I used to carve a lot. I loved carving birds and flowers. These days I work mostly in silver. Most of my projects were small to mid-sized. A mid sized project would take 40+ hours to complete. I can turn out rings and necklaces in just a few hours (unless I am working on something special). Thats as close to instant gratification as I can get.

I am planning to do a large totem pole sometime soon though. I want a totem icon for each member of the family. I will mount it back by my workshop.

Cowboy Joe-
    The best thing to do is make your own patterns. Decide on a subject (Horse, humming bird, hawk...whatever you want). Then find as many pictures of it as you can. Look for lots of different angles. If its something you can see in person Then go and take your own pictures. You begin to notice details you never had before. I try to concentrate on the eyes. You can totally mess up some things and few will notice, but people pay attention to eyes. How far apart they are, their shape and color. Those sorts of details can really set your work apart for some others out there.

If you want to do water fowl I recommend any book by JD Sprankle. For all other birds Muehlmatt is the king.

Sylvar

4. dreadstalker

dreadstalker Well-Known Member

i used to do a lot of wood carving i liked to customize my furnishings(shelves.pipe holders.rolling pin tray) now i work mainly in glass

5. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Don't any of you have cameras? Where are the pictures?

Can you put some up here for us to see?

Anyone carve with a chainsaw and how do you do it - what thought process and what physical action?

Thanks,

Alex (Wannabe Carver - I think)

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

7. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I have a bear carving in mind, that I made from papier mache pulp before, I got a very handsome price for them in a craft shop. I would like to carve this guy out of wood in a life sized form. Can get much greater detail in wood. Too busy this winter for it, but a project I would like to start on by next year I hope. I have a couple of excellent books on horse and animal carving,
    The Rocking Horse Maker by Anthony Dew, and Carousel Animal Carving by Bud Ellis and Rhondda Hoeckley, both have great patterns. Each book was only $20 US.

I good site I found on the net is cavers companion.
    Going to check out your wifes work, thanks for the link.
    A digital camera is on my wish list!

8. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter