Any Wisconsinites know where I can get a turkey

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wendys_goats, Nov 7, 2006.

1. wendys_goats

wendys_goats wendys_goats

Any one here from Wisconsin have a home grown turkey or know where I can buy one for Thanksgiving. We didn't raise any this year and I really would like a home grown one. :help:
    Thank you and God Bless

2. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

I am not sure what these people have but these were in the On Line Version of "The Country Today"
    BABY CHICKS, Ducklings, Goslings, Turkeys. Started Pullets. Abendroth Hatchery 920-478-2053

Blue Slate and Bourban Red turkeys. (715)884-2536.

Sunnyside, Inc.Hatchery Division P.O. Box 452Beaver Dam, WI 53916 (920)887-2122 Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Turkeys. Over 90 years hatching quality chicks.

These 3 look as though it is just young ones but worth a call I guess.

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Check with the nearest food co-op, as most of them have a source of organic or free range turkeys. The price will be a lot higher than the mass-produced grocery story turkeys, though.

4. wendys_goats

wendys_goats wendys_goats

Thank You Arabian KNight and WisJim. I am hoping to find a live one that we can butcher a day or two before Thanksgiving.

5. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

6. Jane in southwest WI

Jane in southwest WI Well-Known Member

We are getting ours from an Amish farm. They are certified organic, but I get a price break by going to the farm at picking it up. Since they don't have refridgeration, we pick up the day they butcher. We are notified by mail when they will butcher; for Thanksgiving it is the day before. We get chicken and eggs there too.