Any West Virginians

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Upham, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

My place of work in Mass. is closing and there may be an oportunity for me to transfer to Scott Depot, W. Virginia. :) Can anyone tell me something about the area.
    Thank you,
    Up

2. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

I live not far from Scott Depot and my husband works near Scott Depot in Teays Valley. It is a very nice area, friendly people like most of WV. It is located in Putnam County. The area has just recently began lots of new development and is slowly becoming congested but there are alot of smaller towns near by that are a lot less populated, within close driving distance. It is beautiful area to live and homestead. The schools have recently been rated as the best in the area. It is located midway between two major cities, Huntington and Charleston.
    Not much more that I can tell you other than you will love it here, almost anywhere in WV is a good place to live and homestead. PM me if I can be of anymore help to you. :)

I forgot the hunting here is great! And there are lots of lakes to fish. And the soil is pretty good in most areas for gardening. Weather is all four seasons, spring, summer, fall, and winter. Winters ususally stay above 0. Summers usually stay below 90. So not to bad.

3. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Our Homestead is in Roane county, about an hour and a half from Charleston.

We do not live there yet, but the surroundings are beautiful, and all of the people we have met are nice, and friendly. The biggest problem can be earning a decent living, and you wouldn't have that problem.

4. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

Thank you for the replies. I'll know in about a week what's going on.
    Thanks again,
    Up

5. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Transferring to West Virginia from Massachusetts will be like getting a raise. Much lower taxes. Better weather too!

6. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member

Nostalgia,
    How far are you from Spencer? My wife and I are thinking about buying some land around there. I was born in Boone County and my dad is in Huntington. I can't wait to get back home.

7. nostalgia

I must be a neighbor of your father because I am in Huntington, near Beech Fork Lake.
    I hope you get to move back here, WV really is a wonderful state. We love it here!
    If I can help you with anything, please pm me. :)

8. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Animal

The land we bought is not to far from Spencer. We love the area. One thing we have noticed: there is more crime (more than a couple of break-ins a year) in the "city" area than we would expect.

We are far enough from the beaten path, that we should be ok.

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I am in the northcentral part of the state, near Morgantown and the university. This is several hours from Spencer, et al. I find the diversity (ethnic, religious, etc.) greater here (we're about 90 minutes for Pittsburgh PA).

Try to find a place to live that opens up in the view/land shape. I find a lot of newcomers report feeling closed in when their property is in a "hollow" with steep hillsides front and back and much less sun in the winter.

Lots of luck and hope you will enjoy Almost Heaven!

10. Dixie912

Dixie912 Well-Known Member

I moved to Charleston, WV from Houston, Tx. (DuPont transfer). West Virginia is one of the most beautiful places on earth, but still very rugged.
    When we moved to Charleston, our daughter was in the 4th grade. We had a very hard time that first year, in the best school district in town. When the class was short on books, she was the last student to get a book. They figured she was there "short-term" and she would catch up when she left WVa. It seemed like a constant battle. The people were nice enough, but always made you feel like an outsider. It took about 2 years to even begin to fit in. Our saving grace was a stable where we boarded our horses and rode in the Kanawha State Forest.
    If you are there for a while and find it difficult, hang in there. Once people see you are OK, everything will be fine. They are good, hard working people, the place is gorgeous, and you can ride for years without covering the same trails. I hated to leave there.
    Good luck with your move.

11. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

Well, my company is going to bring me down the first or second week of March. I have to make up my mind then. It's funny I have two daughters 19 and 23 that are all for it they will be coming too but my wife is nervous. I already know I'll love it there and I think once my wife has a chance to check things out she will too.
    Nostalgia what do you hunt and fish for?
    Up

12. nostalgia

Hi Upham
    Glad you are still coming to check us out. I do hope you will stay.
    As for what do we hunt. Well we have a wide variety of animals to hunt. We have whitetail deer, black bear, turkey, squirrel, rabbits, raccoon, grouse, fox, and lots of small animal species. Fish we have trout, bass, sunfish, catfish, crappie, walleye, muskie, and many others. Here is the link to the WV DNR website if you would like to check it out:

http://www.wvdnr.gov/

Tell your wife to not be nervous---she has alot of good things to see here in WV. I have no doubt she will love it here, as well as the rest of your family. The weather will still be pretty mild in March but come mid to late April it will be spring time. That's when most of us dig up our gardens and hopefully you will be settled in by then. If I can be of any more help please pm me. I hope we get a chance to meet your family when you come here. :)