Any Vets out there

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I found a dead goat in the padock today. My goats are usually healthy, except for the odd bout of worms. She was this springs baby, about 60+lbs. No signs of trauma except for some blood around her anus.
    My thoughts are she was trampled around the feeder, or she had severe worms.
    Any thoughts

2. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like internal injuries. If you check their gums and eyelids, I would think you would have noticed them turning white from the worms. I don't believe lung worms would cause bleeding there. Coccidiosis causes blood like that but you would most likely noticed a change in stools first. I don't know how many goats you have....sometimes it can be hard to catch something like that, unless you spend a lot of time observing your goats daily. I am not a vet and I'm not aware of any that post on here????? Maybe Vicki or one of the goat ranchers with more seniority and knowledge than me can shed some more light. I'm sorry for your loss. That is a shame. You know, you could always take her to a vet for a necropsy, if you really want to know. Just a thought. Blessings.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't remember your worm story or problem.

Yes it could be injury, or worms or cocci, or enterotoxemia. Simply not enough information. Using necropsy would be a waste of money, necropsy of young stock doesn't give you many answers. Now if this had been an older doe, yes, intestine for adult worms and cocci, liver for copper, lungs for lungworm and scarring from pnemonia. Vicki (I am not a vet just play one on the internet :)

4. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Vicki,

I'm glad you mentioned that about the young stock and the necropsy. I'm always being told to get one done on a kid. I didn't know that and I'll certainly not waste my money on it. Thanks.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The biggy is you want to spend the time with a necropsy getting information for your herd health, so a necropsy would be trying first to diagnose herd wide health problems that could have caused the death...in a kid that would be ecoli, cocci, worms, and you could do this yourself with just visual promps from a good book or fecal sample taken in. In adults, yes brain, blood, liver to diagnose a condition that caused the death, but for copper levels, what adult worms are present, old pnemonia, cocci...these things are only of value in older stock that has lived at your farm awhile. Besides most necropsies come back inconclusive unless it's for abortion, and then you could get the same result from blood only, which you don't need to pay for a necropsy then.

So think of death at you farm in terms of how this goat can help the herd as a whole...and obviously have enough snap to figure out there is something seriously wrong and put the animal down at the vets for the necropsy, or by you and pull the organs yourself.

In injury deaths, unless it happens in front of you, or it's very cold out, by the time you found the goat it's internal temp would be higher than you would want to get good results on necropsy anyway. Vicki

6. Rob30

I realise I don't have enough info for concrete diagnosis. But it bothers me when a normally healthy goat dies. The only thing I can think of is I didn't worm her when i wormed everyone else last week. I ran out of wormer, with 5 goats left to do. I wormed the rest today. But in my defence there was no signs of worms. I do have one other the same age that looked a little off today. Tail tucked and hunched when standing still. However she grazed like all the others today, and looked fine while grazing. I bought some cocci med to add to the water today as well.
    This is the second kid this summer to die. I had a much younger one go early in the summer.

7. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

1st
    This is for the first Quote: I was also reading your post and you said there was blood around her anus now that sounds like another goat has been pushy and they goat into a pushing match and others may have joined in and got so rough she may have fell and they stepped on her before she could get back up and they caused internal injuries. If they get internal injuries
    sever enough they will die and have signs of blood like that. I lost a little goat one time from my goats getting into a agreement. If a goat has Cocci their poo will have some blood in it and it also can kill a goat.

2nd Quote
    This is for the second Quote. The one with tail tucked and hunched could be a sign of Selenium deficiency starting or Cocci. It is really hard to tell at times what is wrong but last thing I'm going to say if they are younger goats sometimes they can get Selenium definciency no matter how much you try to take great care of your goats. On Selenium definciency they may or may not show signs of getting that deficiency. Some signs of this is : inability to stand and stiff gait and hunched appearance. Still will eat like others and is very alert.

Just letting you know what I already know or went through on this.

Hope your goat gets doing better soon.
    Good Luck. :)

8. Rob30

I thought it looked like she was stepped on, but I couldn't see any hoof prints.
    I gave selenium to the kids when they were born. They are about 7-8 month now.
    How often do you give selenium to your goats?