Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I live in Vermont and I was just curious if anyone else here does too.

Have a great night!

Egee
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
I'm not sure but if you're from the north you may not be allowed to say anything here but, if you're a yuppie it may go over ok.
 

·
Unreality star
Joined
·
9,894 Posts
I'm from Vermont and just waiting for the snow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
I'm in Vermont - originally from New Hampshire, but we moved here in Febuary. My hubby & I agree we'll never move back! We love it here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I was born and raised in Bennington,spent 34 years there and then opted for a little warmer climate. I do miss the snow once in a while and our 5 year old played for the first time in snow a couple years ago when we went for a visit in late march, it snowed a foot of the good ole white stuff the night we got there. She was totally fascinated with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice to see all of you. I am almost 33 and have lived here all my life. I live in Morrisville, Vermont. I am waiting for the snow as well. I don't remember such a warm Halloween night for a long time. Happy Halloween.
 

·
Unreality star
Joined
·
9,894 Posts
Egee said:
Nice to see all of you. I am almost 33 and have lived here all my life. I live in Morrisville, Vermont. I am waiting for the snow as well. I don't remember such a warm Halloween night for a long time. Happy Halloween.
Hi Egee, My mom's cousin lives in Morrisville. Its very pretty up there :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Hi,
I live in Vermont just outside of Middlebury.
:waa: Lived in Mo. for 10 years missed the winters and the snow. Moved back to the good old North Country. :haha:
John#4
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,677 Posts
Hi all, and no, I'm not from Vermont, but I do have sort of a dumb question I need to ask. Has anyone heard of an animal called a tandemount? Don't even know if I'm spelling it right, but my dad used to tell us about his great-great-great grandfather who lived inside a fort structure to help keep away the Indians and the ? tandemounts. I haven't done a google search, which would make sense, but someone told me that it may be an animal from lands in and around Vermont. Any comments welcome. And sorry for butting in.
 

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
Joined
·
3,736 Posts
soulsurvivor said:
Hi all, and no, I'm not from Vermont, but I do have sort of a dumb question I need to ask. Has anyone heard of an animal called a tandemount? Don't even know if I'm spelling it right, but my dad used to tell us about his great-great-great grandfather who lived inside a fort structure to help keep away the Indians and the ? tandemounts. I haven't done a google search, which would make sense, but someone told me that it may be an animal from lands in and around Vermont. Any comments welcome. And sorry for butting in.
Catamounts. Large native cat. Vermont Fish and Wildlife will tell you the last one was killed I think in the 1950's (the animal was stuffed and stands in the state museum). People who work in the woods occasionally spot something that looks remarkably like the cat that isn't supposed to exist any more.. very long body, very large cat, very long tail... quite unlike the bobcat which is known to still live in Vermont.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,677 Posts
MorrisonCorner said:
Catamounts. Large native cat. Vermont Fish and Wildlife will tell you the last one was killed I think in the 1950's (the animal was stuffed and stands in the state museum). People who work in the woods occasionally spot something that looks remarkably like the cat that isn't supposed to exist any more.. very long body, very large cat, very long tail... quite unlike the bobcat which is known to still live in Vermont.
Thank you so much. I'm robbing this thread again, but was wondering. From the way your post reads, was the catamount intentionally made extinct? I mean, was it a really dangerous animal that would require, say, a wooden fort for protection? Any links that I could visit to find out more? Again, thank you for the information. It's made my search much simpler, especially since I didn't even have the spelling right. :eek:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
It's a mountain lion.Simple as that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I was born and raised and Vermont (St. J). Have lived in NH since 87 because of my husband's work at the time. Now divorced but stay in NH for my kids to finish school. Would love to live and farm in VT someday. My parents still live there and to back to visit quite often.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
Our lion is not special. Its just a run of the mill mountain lion.I saw one in the late 60's in wardsboro vt. Many men i know that work in the woods have seen them cross logging roads.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top