Any TV repairmen on here??

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by ninny, Nov 29, 2006.

1. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

I have a 19" Sanyo TV that the main circuit board went kapoot on...

Looked online/Google, and didn't find anyone selling the board.

The TV is only about 4 yrs. old and still plays and sounds good.

Any info would be appreciated...

Thanks..

2. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

I used to fix monitors but not any more
    best advice is that a 19 inch tv is not worth fixing
    buy a new one unless someone just happens to have the exact same tv with the tube go bad but not very likely

but my best advice is to keep your hands out of it if you get one the capacitors by acident it will deffinitly ruin your day in the thousands of volts bad day department

new tv 99.00

or go without for a while you would be suprised how much time you waist watching the tube or as gradma called it the boob tube

3. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

It's not worth fixing unless you have the ability to do it yourself. Even then the parts and service manual cost would probably be close to a new set. I wouldn't bother repairing a 19" set.

If you watch off the air signals, try to find a replacement with a HDTV tuner.

The current shutoff date for over the air, as we know it, is Feb 17, 2009. Non-HDTV sets will have nothing to receive after that date.

4. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Nothing like forcing us folks that like to get 10 - 20 years out of a tv to buy a new one

5. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

There is a program to give every household $40-$50 toward a set top box converter to watch HDTV. Dems have already said the program was under funded. Plus the same manufactures that would like to sell you a new TV are supposed to produce the STB.

6. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

just forget about getting a new tv give it a year you may be supprised you don't even want one

but realy it has less to do with forcing new tv's and more to do with wanting back the band width tv has for other used

just look at a band chart and you will se that tv has several huge chunks starting at 50 mhz on up

tv is the single largest user of band width on the chart and as hdtv they can condece to somthing like 10 to one and this has been in affect since 96 when they passed the legislation

just wait till you have to get a digital reciver for over the air radio. can't be that far out although with the progress made in satellite tv and radio since 1996 it may just become a non issue

7. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Ehh when this one goes out, or they change it, i won't bother with a tv. Nothing worth watching anyway.

8. norris

norris Well-Known Member

The best way to fix any TV is to take a sledge mammer to it.

Seriously, isn't it the perfect time to quit that awful habit? TV is garbage. Why would you want to pour garbage in your mind?

9. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

But it helps me get to sleep! I need the brain downtime in order to fall asleep.