Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until my dog got sick, chemo was something I thought over the top and unethical for pets, so that's where I'm coming from.

My dog had a spleen with tumors removed 3 weeks back and has been doing amazingly. But there is a chance cancer (if malignant and it may have been benign) will re seed and come back elsewhere quickly. Today she seemed off so I'm concerned big time.

Vet said if that's the case there are "therapies" which I assume are chemo or prednisone. But I didn't ask as was just hoping for the best.

Any thoughts? Is it terribly expensive? Worth it? Ethical? I gather it's a pill and completely unlike what humans go through.

My neighbors dog was given two months to live a year ago and pumped with prednisone (?) for cancer and is still going for daily walks and seems quite content.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
Predisone is not chemo. It simply depresses the immune system as any steroid does. They use if for rashes, inflammation, arthritis and many other ailments. That would not bother me. It is a steroid.
I personally would not give any dog chemo. It just seems cruel to me, but not everyone would feel the same way.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When my favorite older dog got a spinal injury and my vet wanted me to send him out for spinal surgery that was not only very expensive but also may not have repaired the spine and would have resulted in many months of physical therapy, I just couldn't do it and put him down. Had it been cancer and chemo instead I am pretty sure I'd feel the same.

I'm of the opinion that there are so many medical options for animals these days because of people who love their pets as if they were biological children. I loved my dog, but I couldn't explain to him what was happening like a 10 year old.

On the flip side, we know a wonderful woman who has two greyhounds that both developed cancer and she's spent into the $10,000 range to fight it (one dog recovered, the other recently passed). She absolutely thinks the medical treatment is worth it.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$10k to possibly extend a life seems bizarre.
I'm just not sure if "chemo" is actually a pill each morning to keep it at bay, or anything even similar to what humans do. Any idea? The vet is 2 hour drive away.
I will go to discuss but don't plan to any time soon.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
I would call the vet and ask exactly what he or she has in mind, what it costs and what the prognosis is. Keep in mind that many vets are overly optimistic as to prognosis, because that is what most owners want to hear. Also ask about possible and probable side affects. If there is a treatment that is easy on the dog and relitively inexpensive, you might want to try it. If not, personally, I would keep my dog happy and comfortable as long as possible, then let them go.

·
Registered
382 Posts
$10k to possibly extend a life seems bizarre.
I'm just not sure if "chemo" is actually a pill each morning to keep it at bay, or anything even similar to what humans do. Any idea? The vet is 2 hour drive away.
I will go to discuss but don't plan to any time soon.
I don't know the details of her dog's treatment, we just happened to be discussing vet bills and he told us how much she has spent. I imagine the treatment is similar to what people get.

T

·
0 Posts
I have two vets. One is a close, 7-day a week, fancy-schmancy, city vet who tugs at one's heart strings and offers stuff like allergy testing and teeth cleaning. One is an old, down-to-Earth, country vet who on occasion hasn't bathed for a few days because he has been busy...

I gauge my visits on the severity of the affliction, and the $300 Spending Limit my beloved house pets have...

I love my dogs dearly, and they have a good life, but they are still dogs. I cannot spare a mortgage payment or five on their care.

·
Registered
417 Posts
depends on the type of cancer
the age of the pet
the quality of life
the cost of treatment

we have had two dogs that developed some type of cancer. we did not treat either one. our sheep dog had lymphoma, and our brittany had a leg tumor. both were hard to say goodbye to. we did what we thought was best for them.

keith

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
My husband's dog lived another 10 healthy years after radiation treatment. http://www.amcny.org/radiation-oncology/radiation-therapy-information
It was back when pretty much only the cancer center in the university of IL did it and he's not sure how much but it was very costly. However for another 10 years that aren't even in pain.... His dog was 4 when they did surgeries and radiation and she lived to 14 without more treatments.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$300 spending limit, hmm, to date I haven't set a dollar limit it's always been about quality of life and what the pet gives me in return which is important. The closest ultrasound being two hours away was $300 just for that. So I can't set a "reasonable" price cap here.

T

·
0 Posts
It's kinda a tongue-in-cheek Limit, just to remind me of the priorities. With their annual shots and heart worm and rabies and food, they all have surpassed their limits long ago... LOL!

·
Registered
299 Posts
There is no way I would ever put my dog through chemo, or any other heroic chance of prolonging his/her life. To me quality of life is far more important than quantity of life, and it also smacks of total selfishness on the part of the dog owner. My dogs have always given me totally unconditional love, devoted companionship, and non judgmental acceptance for who and what I am. I owe it to them to make sure they live a good life with out suffering or being put through difficult treatments that they don't and can't understand.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When you think of it - a pet owner often wants to keep a pet alive for their own sake and not the pets - folks love their pets and want to keep them around even if the pet is not enjoying life anymore - we should forget what our own feelings are and think of what the pet has to go through - life is worth living if there is quality to it - if its nothing but pain and suffering then its time to go - that applies to humans too -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts