Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a gal who is new to sheep and has asked my help. Apparently one of her rams has a snotty nose and a slight cough but is not acting sickly. I suggested she deworm him (possibly nose bots or lung worm) if that hasn't been done recently. She drenched him with Ivomec. They live in another state and don't have a sheep vet available. I suggested that she talk with the people she got her sheep from or call Pipestone vet for ideas. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas I could pass along. I also thought a few days of Penn would be a good start as that is the antibiotic she had available. I did mention to her to find a vet before lambing season next year too.

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
eieiomom said:
There is a gal who is new to sheep and has asked my help. Apparently one of her rams has a snotty nose and a slight cough but is not acting sickly.
Thanks in advance !
Yep - the vet advice is good advice, since its hard to diagnose long distance. :rolleyes: I have a couple of ewe lambs that have a dry cough - no nasal discharge, and just a slightly elevated temp. Vet thought it was an upper respiratory infection, and prescribed 5-7 days of penn. They are not coughing as much now, and temp is down to normal. These lambs had not gone off feed either, but were a little thinner than the others in the group, so I think it was still effecting them.
Are these sheep new enough they could be suffering from shipping fever?

Lisa at Somerhill
www.somerhillfarm.com

·
Pure mischief
897 Posts
Ei

I can't think of anything else. I *hadn't* thought of Pipestone - is that vet available for consults? That is really good to know. I was just looking at a couple of their classes thinking I could take one in my spare time (haha).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just because a sheep isn't acting sick doesn't mean they aren't, I've had babies running around and playing with 105.9 fevers. If he's got a fever then put him on some antibiotics, I really prefer using something stronger than penn but if it's what she has on hand it should be fine. Watch him to make sure he keeps eating, give him whatever green he wants because the longer he's on antibiotics the longer his gut flora are attacked and killed.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone,

Her email tonight said that his cough is gone and nose is better.
I also use different antibiotics depending on the case at hand, but that is what was available to her. I suggested she continue the Penn and not to switch if he continues to improve , plus a few days after symptoms are gone.
She bought a few lambs from me several weeks ago, but the ram and the rest of her flock had been purchased from a local shepherd.
On another list they were talking about their problem with nose bots the vet had suggested repeating the Ivomec again in 2 weeks. I mentioned that to her as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts