Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I picked two bushels of tomatoes and peppers at a farm and brought them home. I canned tomatoes and processed peppers to be frozen. I did a lot of heavy lifting and lifting canners and stock pots full of water. Since then I have had pain in my rib cage on the lower part. It got so unbearable the other day I went to urgent care. Because of my past history of cancer, the doctor decided to do a CT scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis. Everything turned out fine. Thank God! Unfortunately I cannot take Motrin. I have been taking Tylenol and uring Salonpas spray on that area. I am still in a lot of discomfort but don't know what to do. Any suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
try using pillows for comfort when sitting or lying down....know you must feel so bad...sending warm hugs and prayers for comfort for you....

·
Premium Member
41,120 Posts
My Yvonne spent a week doing a sales booth at the state fair a while back and she brought home some "foot creme" supposed to be good for aches and pains. I was impressed!! It gave me a lot of relief with my feet and ankles, and then yesterday I over did while canning... same pain you are describing and I thought why not give that stuff a try. She rubbed my ribcage down with it and within about five minutes I was pain free again! Slept like a baby all night and feel much better today. Its called "Real Time Pain Relief" you can check it out here: http://rtpr.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=588&lang=en

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I had cracked ribs at one point and couldn't breath except for short shallow breaths. They put on a very tightly wound ace bandage and that did the trick.I think I had it on for 6 weeks or so.Maybe this would help.

Wade

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
It sounds like you put a strain on the floating ribs. They are the lower flexible "false" ribs that are floating, not attached to the sternum but held in place by muscle and sinew.

You could try rubbing arnica gel on the area for the pain. Arnica is specific for that type of thing. And as others suggested, bind tightly to relieve further strain on them until the pain goes away.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips everyone. From what I have read, you are not supposed to bind the ribs because it is easy to get pneumonia. I cannot take aspirin either. I am in a pickle as any medication to reduce inflammation I cannot take. I will try arnica or blue emu if I can find it. Thanks again for your help.

·
Voice of Reason
52,237 Posts
Tape em up, good luck.
That's the best thing you can do. Wrapping with an ace bandage works about as well as anything.

The idea is that it restricts the outward movement of the ribs. There will still be a little inward movement, but you're not going to be able to do a lot about that. Restricting the outward movement will prevent about half the movement, which will be a huge improvement in terms of pain, comfort, and even healing time.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Binding rib fractures are no longer common practice because it limits you ability to take in deep breaths which can lead to pneumonia. I know it hurts to breathe, but you'll be in a lot more 'world o'hurt' with the coughing that pneumonia will bring.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have two of those extra wide elastic back brace belts, velcro closure, adjustable. Bought at Walmart.Washable.The elastic gives, but also is just enough support to keep me from breaking in half. :huh:
Being prone to hyperextension/double jointedness, seems like I pull something wrong every few weeks. I can wear it looser when just moving around or sitting, tighten it when I'll be bending or lifting. Take it off at night, and have extra pillows to prop on or hug.
Speaking of hugs, just don't. My friends and family have gotten used to me holding my hands up and telling them NoNoNo! Not today. Ribs again! Extras later when I'm better.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I'm going to guess that it is muscular. Try laying on your back, inhale fully, lift your head, tightening your abdominal muscles and hold it up while you exhale slowly. Do it 4 or 5 times and see if it relieves the pain. If it does, do that a couple of times a day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts