Any Ridgid 18v users/service folks

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by texican, Nov 1, 2006.

1. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I know my Ridgid tools have a lifetime warranty... but I don't think that includes any doofus clauses... Back in the summer, I was working at a very old house, and plugged my 18v charger into a 110 outlet, and it popped. Put my meter in the outlet and someone had wired it for 220... arrgghh... That's the doofus part, plugging into an old house circuit without first checking voltage. I'm assuming that this (plugging into 220 v circuit) would void the warranty.

In the meantime, I've been using alligator clips to charge the ridgid batteries from another charger... sure the batteries aren't 'loving' it, but I can still use a couple of my ridgid tools (love ridgid's flashlight)

Am I "SOL"? I've found single chargers on ebay for 29$...

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You will get several answers. Kinda comes down to you.

The fault lies with the person who wired up the house. You should get your $29 from that dufass. Not Ridgid.

I suppose you can return the tool to Ridgid, and ask for a free new one because it isn't working. They likely will even give you one.

Question is, is that right or not.

--->Paul

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I got my electric chainsaw replaced out of warranty by McColluch(sp)

I was calling to get repair info at my cost,the person went out of her way to tell me I got it for fathers day and didnt have a reciept. I finally 'got it' (after she INSISTED about 6 times that was the case) and repeated that line,they sent an RMA,and a couple weeks later a brand new one arrived at my door.

I didnt feel guilty,I felt like a company stood behind their product and I WILL buy from them again.

BooBoo

4. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

You know, if their warranty is lifetime, just take it back and say it doesn't work. don't volenteer any information. If they ask, tell them the truth. It might shock the heck out of them and they take care of it anyway.

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

Im an authorised ridgid warranty shop. I dont want to know what the owner did to it. I just want to know what the tool wont do, eg. it wont run, or it wont charge. Just tell your local shop, "This wont charge"

6. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

Does it charge in half the time on 220VAC ?

7. texican

texican Well-Known Member

oh yes, it indeed charged 'twice as fast'... :) glad there wasn't a battery in it...

the doofus who did the wiring is probably dead by now... the house is at least 50 years old...

8. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

I had the exact same thing happen to me on a job at a tire store that was getting rewired by a drunk. I fried my charger for my 6 month old Paslode nail gun. I told the store owner what had happened and he made sure that the electrition bought me a new one. I still have it in the sealed plastic because I had a couple others I could use.

It is a moral issue, you screwed up but it was an honest mistake, what about the home owner helping you out for half of the replacement cost?
    Been there and done that!

9. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

Just re-read your post and it was in the summer.... too late for my idea to work! Sorry