Any Police Officers Here?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by FiddleKat, Jan 11, 2007.

1. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Our local paper this morning had a big article about our local sheriff's dept. The city we live in has thier local police dept. as well as the sheriff's who deal with stuff outside the city limits and stay in the county. We are in the county jurisdiction.
    Anyway, in the past six months the sheriffs dept has lost 35 employees. Mostly going to other police dept. for better pay and benefits. The article states that a patrolman starting out gets the base minimum pay of something like $23,000 a year. The Sheriff said that the pay needs to be raised because they are losing staff to other depts. etc.

Personally, whatever a police officer is paid is not enough. When you think about the risks they take.

I would like to know if there are any police officers here and how they feel about the job, etc. The reason I ask is because for a very long time Ive had a longing to work in law enforcement. Twenty years ago I took the civil service exam twice and passed both with a score of 96 and a 98. I was put on a list, but never called. Eleven years ago I had the chance to get on our local sheriff's dept. (when we lived in MA). I missed getting my application in on time and there was a hiring freeze. So I missed my opportunity there. It was also the same time that I had met my now DH and soon after got married and had a baby.
    Our situation now is that DH works as a school bus driver, and I am a SAHM of a 8 yr old wonderful daughter who is physically handicapped, developmentally delayed and some medical issues. I can't really work outside the home. At least not right now because of her situation and medical coverage. No private insurance will cover her because the extense of her medical needs. So she is covered under Medicade.
    One of the things Ive thought about was approaching the Sheriff now, and actually volunteering. I don't know what. Maybe computer work, helping out with different programs that they usually have officers do to lighten things up. I would have the opportunity to learn what they do, and find out if its something I really want to get into or what.
    Im also 40, and out of shape.

2. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Law enforcement is a good pursuit. Of course most folks know it is not like tv. On there is non-stop action for an hour or thirty minutes, tv makes it look like it is nothing but one big adrenaline rush.
    In truth, depending on where you are stationed, it can be 95% boredom followed by 5% pure adrenaline.
    As I always told our academy cadets, if you get into law enforcement for the money, you are going into the wrong field.
    If you are interested in the field and apparently you are, go talk to the local sheriff and see what he/she has to say. There may be a position just right for you. Never give up on a dream.
    best wishes,
    mamabear

3. FiddleKat

Thanks mamabear! It wouldn't be for the money at all. I just feel like that it might have been my calling. Especially considering Ive considered it for so long!! My dad was also a special police officer for a nearby town where I grew up. He was actually in hospital security, but when he first started was part of the local police dept. Sworn in and everything. He did that job for about thirteen years. He told me that you encounter alot of horrible things and people. Which I realize, but I also think you would also be able to help those who are innocent.

4. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I am not on the job, but I come from a family or cops. It is really a calling more than anything. You could elp out at the Sherrif's department for now and look into pursuing a Criminal Justice degree. Some of the business colleges are offering this now or of course the 4 year schools have it. You may be above the age limit for becoming a police officer, but there are always jobs like dispatch, 911 operators and civillian aides. Some citites have auxillary police as well, that generally do not carry firearms but do attend the police academy and do work like traffic control.

5. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

I grew up with a Police officer father and now my best friend has become a corrections officer. The job comes with a strange type of stress, I don't know why but they seem jittery all the time maybe it has to do with the 95-5 thing mentioned above, or perhaps it is from all the coffee they drink to cope with the crazy shifts, I don't know, but I do know that my father never wanted me to do it for a living!

6. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

$23,000 a year !!!!!
    My son is in the police academy now and makes more than that.
    May be the area of the country that makes the difference.
    Another thing to consider is many police depts spend big bucks
    on the pre employment process and the training. And with a big turn around
    x's the money the dept spends up front I can see understand the low starting wages. My son's academy is 28 weeks in class, 10 weeks with trainer out in the field and another week back at the academy. 39 total weeks of training and this academy is run like a boot camp.
    I believe true, ethical and 'good' police officers
    are worth their weight in gold yearly.
    I will say this, my son took a $12,000 a year pay cut to
    become a police officer. He decided he wanted a change in his life,
    to do something to help others and to be doing something his
    son would be proud of him for.
    I too was wondering if we have any Police Officer mom's
    on the board here. We need to lift our Police Officer's up in
    prayer and pray a hedge of thorns of protection around them all.

7. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Oakland Ca is advertizing for cops at about $80,000. bet that still doesnt get them good ones.

8. FiddleKat

Our Sheriff says he's losing some veteran officers because they can support thier families on what they are making now. And that its leaving alot of newer more inexperienced officers in the field.
    As well, not inticing more quality people for the job.

9. OzarkHmsteaders

OzarkHmsteaders HomesteadHopefuls

Well, heres my 2 coppers for what its worth........ I am a corrections officer, before that I was a substance abuse counselor. I am not sure what makes me stay in this field, It certainly is not the money!!!I am a mother of 3 grown children, they all hate that I do this job.mostly out of concern for my safety but also because they know I could make more money elsewhere. If either of my 2 sons wanted to go into this field,(my daughter wouldn't) I would have an absolute fit... years ago, my Dad was a night patrolman in our little Missouri town, I don't believe there were hardly any safety issues really,but we can't say that today.Alot of people today simply do not care if they hurt you,and our Justice system STINKS. alot of them have nothing to lose. As a 5'3 inch female, my strength is no match for a male,and my pepper can only reaches so far ya know, even "the party can" and I have seen several fellow officers both male and female,beaten. Some days are easier than others, some days ya just wonder "why do I bother"
    ok, enough of the rant...my advice, if you want to help people, find a field where the odds are better that they WANT help. have a great day,and hug your babies,and Trust In HIM...Be safe, and please keep the prayers coming, Christine

10. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

That $23,000. is really low. My brother makes about $80,000. plus he does some side jobs, like directing traffic around construction or providing security at a local jewler. He works in a large suburban town in NJ. Our cost of living is higher than what it is in TN, but $23,000 is low anywhere, especially if you are being asked to put your life on the line.

It costs a lot of money to educate and train a police officer so if your town is paying them a sub-standard wage and officers are leaving to work in other departments your town is probably losing more money over time than they realize.

11. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

A lot of small and/or poor towns and county's don't pay their officers (or dispatchers) very well. So they end up becoming training grounds for the newbies who then move on after they get enough time in to be able to lateral transfer to another department.

When I started in LE back in the late 80's in a small county, pay was only a few bucks above minimum wage and several of the deputys with familys qualified for food stamps!

FiddleKat - at age 40 your odds of getting a job in LE are slim to none. As you said you have a daughter to care for. But there are plenty of volunteer positions that you could help with.

12. FiddleKat

Thanks for the input!!
    My DH works as a school bus driver for the same county, and although he only gets 21 hours a week, we compared it to what the deputies get and he actually gets paid more!!
    We are a rural county,lots of cows, and even our Sheriff said he was glad we don't have the meth problems alot of other counties have. But he is still concerned about losing so many employees (between officers, corrections, etc.)

I do think it is a disgrace that they are paid so low considering what they face each and every day!!
    I know that more than likely becoming a police officer probably wont happen given the fact of my age, and our situation. Yesterday DH and I had some free time before picking DD up from school and went to lunch and browsed through our local Christian book store. They had a table with different items discounted and had some plaques that I started looking through. The first one I picked up was the police officers serenity prayer. I told a friend last night that I am waiting for a sign from God to tell me if its His plan or not for me.
    If its something I did go into it certainly wouldn't be for the money. It is something I feel in my heart.