any pics of auto pig setup?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by okiemom, Jul 12, 2005.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Hubby just got my rabbit auto waterer hooked up. i am wanting to do something simmilar for the pigs. I have the food grade plastic barrels. I have one w/ a hose bib already on it. So i should be almost there right?

How high do I have to put the barrel to gravity feed? Can I have the barrel on the outside of the pen w/ hose/ tubing fromthe barrel to the nipple and have the nipple attached to the fence or does the nipple have to be attached on the barrel? Thanks katharine

2. Paul72

Paul72 Well-Known Member

I use barrels for my waterers in my barn both for when my pigs are young when they are in the barn, and also as they get older and are going to the outside pasture. Mine are hung from the rafters of the barn, ceiling is only about 7 foot, i have a hose bib on the barrel, then i use a washer hookup hose the type with a female end on both ends, then an 18" piece of 1/2 inch pipe with a male hose fitting on the top end and a 90 deg. elbow and the water nipple on the other. I attach the pipe to the side of the stall and attach the hose to the pipe. As long as the barrel is higher than the nipple waterer it should work just fine------Good luck!!! :1pig:

3. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I don't have the automatic waters, but I just had to laugh when I read your topic/ subject.

We kept our 2 pigs under a truck cap last year, and that's what first popped into my head when I read "auto pig setup".

BTW, the truck cap worked out well for 2 pigs.