any pickled egg recipes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tonasket, May 10, 2006.

1. tonasket

tonasket Well-Known Member

looking for a pickled egg recipe like they serve in taverns, please see post in cooking and crafts, thanks

2. dixiedoodle

dixiedoodle Well-Known Member

Boil ya eggs.Let cool. You can use pickle beet juice or reg vinegar and sugar. Let it boil for a few minutes.

3. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

I love Klaussen Pickles (I know they're high, but they're the best, they oughta be high IMO).

Sometimes I'll save the jar of pickle juice after the pickles are gone. Usually if you save 2 empty jars of juice and pour them together you can make a full jar.

Stuff as many boiled eggs into this leftover juice as you can get in the jar. Refrigerate for 5-7 days and you've got some tasty pickled eggs!

No mess, no bother, no recipe, and good recycling of both the juice and the jar. It works for me.

4. Oldotaku

Oldotaku Member

I do the same thing once I finish a bottle of Frank and Amos pickled baby corn. I hard boil and shell a half-dozen eggs, then empty the juice from the jar and heat it to boiling in a saucepan. I put the shelled eggs in the jar, and put the jar in a bowl of hot water, then add the hot pickle juice and seal. When the water is cool, refrigerate. Then the hard part... waiting :) . Other things i've tried include a big slice of onion in the bottom of the jar, adding a 1/4 teaspoon of dill, adding fresh wine or basalmic vinegar, adding hot pepper flakes. If it sounds good, do it!

5. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Boil/shell eggs, place in LARGE jar of jalapeno pepper juice. Cover and let sit in fridge until the eggs turn black....then DARE somebody to eat one! They get "bonus points" if their eyes don't tear up as they eat them...ruby red face expected!

Mon

6. Boleyz

This would kill the average human being...uh uh...I don't have to take a dare... :flame:

7. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

I love the Klaussen Pickles too!! Just thought I would let you know that Kroger has the "generic" of them and they are really good as well. Do you have a store near you that sells Kroger products? I buy them at Dillons. :)

8. toomb68

toomb68 Well-Known Member

boil eggs....take cans of beets and drain and save the juice,,,,mix equal parts beat juice, vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil to disolve sugar. allow to cool...pour over eggs..( i add in the beats and some onion slices )...i leave out for a day then place in fridge to store.....my grandpa kept them on the counter, however

9. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL! Ex & his friends used to beg me to make the eggs...ex LOVED hot stuff, but these eggs REALLY got his attention!

Mon..and no, I was scared to eat one!

10. Boleyz

We used to shop krogers a lot....I'll have to try the generic brand...thanks for sharing!

11. tinda

tinda Well-Known Member

I used to have a restraunt in a country hotel and I made the pickled eggs for the tavern -- six one-gallon jars of eggs at a time!

O.K., here goes--
    1 cup pickling salt
    1 gallon vinegar
    4 gallons water
    bring to a boil; then cool.

hard bioled eggs
    about a tbsp pickling spices and a few (to taste) slices of onion in the bottom of the jar. Fill the jar with eggs and pour above mixture over to cover
    Put on the lid and keep in a cool place for a few days to cure.

You can reduce the recipe and if you have liquid left over just put it in the fridge till next time.

Good Luck!

12. Arklady

Arklady Well-Known Member

How many eggs for those jars... and is there dill in the pickling spices I have never used the pickling spices.

Arklady

13. tinda

tinda Well-Known Member

There's no dill in pickling spice.

I can't remember exactly how many eggs to a gallon jar but it seems to be 4 or 5 dozen. Just don't pack then in too tight.

14. tonasket

tonasket Well-Known Member

thanks everyone, tinda, that sounds like what i'm looking for, is it cider vinegar or white? thanks again