Any Package Bees in Calif???

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by bushman, Mar 14, 2005.

1. bushman

bushman New Member

I have ten acres of apple trees near Big Bear Lake, CA, that will start blooming
    in about ten days. My usual supplier of package bee is sold out for this year.
    I've called 5 other suppliers and they are sold out for the year. Dose anyone
    know of a package bee supplier in Calif. that has bees to ship ?

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know about cali but theres Wootens out your way

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Can you buy a couple of nucs from another beekeeper?

4. james dilley

I forgot to add the problem in Calif. is the Almond folks are paying $125 per hive.Can you geta local exterinator to give you a couple FERAL hives that he is called to catch,Then requeen them in May for about $10.00 each.

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

James,

I just got home from our beekeepers meeting and it appears that losses around the country have been pretty steep this winter. The fellow I'm buying from reserved 1,000 packages for our area (NE Ohio) and he has been getting calls from people in Michigan and California (I kid you not) because so many places are out.

I ordered 2 more packages (so a total of 12) just because I think it will be worse next year as far as prices and availability. I'll use the 2 extra packages to do splits looking ahead to next year.

Mike

6. james dilley

The thing is now we can still order from Ga. and a few other states for May delivery.

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

This is really sad. I used to be the person that would get the calls for swarms, when I worked at MCAS Camp Pendleton. There is NO ONE there to collect swarms as the lite on the aircraft or buildings. If the P-19's (military 'fire trucks') don't spray them off, or they don't fly away w/in 24 hours, they are exterminated.

I tried for years, while I was there, to get someone from the state to pick them up, or even a local bee keeper, but there was so much red tape, no one did it.

It's stupidity that is causing the needless deaths of these bees, and therefor, those who really rely on them aren't getting any.