Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there was a thread on Geek families, and I had no clue what they were talking about, What's Redwall for pity's sake? I thought I would start a ******* one. Like, my dh and 2 son's are leaving in 15 minutes to go to a cattle auction and they want me to hurry it up with supper, so instead of being bored for 15 minutes, oldest son takes his gun for a walk in the woods and shoots 2 squirrels for a midnite snack while dh and younger son bid on a Billy Cook saddle so younger son can go horse back riding.
Yesterday, when they had off work early, both my boys went riding together over to one of their cousins house to check out his horse trailer, while dh helped one of our employees rewire his stock trailer. When do they have time to read books or mess with encyclopedia's? They can always find something to do around here, even if it's raining, they fix fence or work in the shop or go horse back riding.
Anyone else have a family like this?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I guess you would have to add us to this category. In the evenings this summer and fall we would sit out in the lawnchairs and watch our baby pigs, cats, dogs and chickens. That's our entertainment.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Thanksgiving my mom was telling my niece (who was very grossed out) that we used to eat roadkill. If Mama was out hanging clothes and saw a chicken get hit by a car, she'd go get it and cook it for supper.

LOL...my brother said, "We was ********" to which I replied, "WAS???".

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
Hah! I'm a "******* Family" all by myself! :)

NeHi

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
My neck tends to get red in the sun. :lookout:

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
Are you kidding? Most of us here are, I think! LOL

I converted a used stereo wall unit into a chicken nesting area.

I use old tires for a multitude of purposes (pool tie downs, weights for hay tarps, horse training.....)

I have carted hay and straw, wood shavings, and live chickens and goats in my '94 Toyota Corolla (you should see the look I get at the drive thru's, LOL).

Lots of small things outside are tied up or down with baling twine. Temporary, of course. ;)

I'm presently building a temporary ;) dog fence, in the front yard no less, with goat fencing and super stakes (and maybe a few t-posts).

I'm a 43 year old woman in the process of getting her firearms licence, so I can shoot coyotes......drooling a little bit at the thought of rabbit stew like the family used to make, too. LOL

YEEHAW!

·
Brian w
160 Posts
redwall is a book It got me into making homemade stuff as a kid.
its also the name that i gave my computer on the net as a kid and it turned into my handle

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well, add us too....if you only knew...we are most of Jeff Foxworthys act. Right now we have a buggy on a block and tackle between two trees changing the front-end, a haybaler in the driveway and turkeys roosting on the porch..Dang Turkeys.
We have really red necks here . :)

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
add us to. We have farm equipment that lines the driveway,We go to most stores with hay dust or shavings on us. Half the time I go with barn boots, I forget to take them off. We plant plants in old boots for decorations, hollow out pieces of wood for bird feeders. High lights of our weekends are the livestock auctions. Tore boards of wall in house (during remodeling) and save everything for the chicken coop. Main part of my front yard now has animals in it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
last week i went deer hunting at my parents, on the way home i told the kids "Daddy got a deer today" he was at his parents place. my 5yrold DD says with a hungry growl " i want steak... tonight!" both our girls see a deer hanging in the garage and their first words are " when can we eat it?"
she was totally ticked when we had mac n cheese, back straps were the next night!
they love the chickens, rabbits and dogs. liked the pigs on the hoof, love the home grown bacon..
both like shooting with dad, fishing with us both, our 8yrold DD has been taking fish off since she was 6, when her hands got big enough to do the job.
they both like reading encyclopidias.

do we qualify??

·
Registered
429 Posts
I blew up the motor on my truck so i drove 60 miles with 3 deer tied to my wifes car two on the roof and 1 across the trunk so i think we fit in too.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
******* family here!! We live in a double wide in a rural area. Most of our neighbors have cattle, and an array of junk cars in thier yards.
We have a Battle Jack flying out in front of our house too! What's funny about it, is that where transplanted Yankees! LOL

·
If I need a Shelter
21,614 Posts
I don't know you tell me

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
16,652 Posts
Well, I'm slowly converting DH. The first time DH met my parents, my Dad went in the back yard and picked some poke salet, brought it in the house and cooked it for supper. We went from there to my in-laws, where DH promptly tells them (mind you, this is my FIRST time meeting them, and I'm trying to make a good impression on them) any ways, he tells them that my Dad went out in the back yard and picked some weeds and brought them in to serve for dinner. My MIL didn't care much for me for the first year we were married, sometimes Ithink it's because she wasn't too sure about having a ******* daughter in law. Since then though, she's learned that us ******** aren't too bad, especially since we believe very strongly in family and are the first ones there if a family member needs help. She's even, finally, agreed to eat chicken at my house now. LOL

·
Registered
429 Posts
My in laws still don't want anything to do with me,thats the way i like it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts