Any Oregonian gardeners ?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Miz Mary, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

It's so hard to grow here ! ( zone 8) We barely get tomatoes in August!
    I am in N W Oregon where its rainy and wet ! I have tried a cold frame - still too cold. Raised beds- still too cold. Used plastic around PVC pipe - better, but not much warmer ! Any one have tips or tricks ?

2. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

When do you start your transplants?
    sandie or.zone 8 ?

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We used to plant transplants in March when we lived in Crescent City area. It is good to grow cole crops in spring and then in the late summer try the tomatoes, strawberries, etc. We used to apply lots of gypsum and lime to our soil. Potatoes did well also but corn was out as was hot weather herbs. Our solution for gardening was to move to AZ

4. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

Hank & Narita, when you say hot weather herbs, would you consider basil to be one of those? The last three years I've tried to grow it and it was pitiful!

Miz Mary I am in Oregon....in fact we were in NW until about 3 months ago. I am such an amateur gardener, though, I have little to offer. I started toms early, but it was still at least July before we had any.

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We planted our basil and dill in July in AZ. The herbs seemed to do better with the warm nights. Maybe you could get the wall of water or other covering for the herbs to give them heat and protection from the elements.

6. gardencatz

gardencatz Member

I'm in zone 8 and to me, this is grower's paradise. The season may not be as long, but the weather is relatively mild (so much nicer for puttering around in) and the mix of sun and rain makes for strong, beautiful plants.

I start the seeds that don't go directly into the ground indoors, about 2 months before the last frost date (April 3rd for this growing season, according to The Farmer's Almanac). About 2 weeks before I'm going to plant, I start bringing them out on my deck a little more each day to acclimate them. I don't have a green house (wish I did), but this method has worked for me for years.

I grow annual herbs, and some of the less hardy ones (I still have parsley growing up a storm even after a couple of snows) & veggies, like tomatoes, that don't like to get their feet too wet, in raised beds with sandy, loamy soil. Everything else goes right into the ground. I also make my own compost tea and use it about once every couple of weeks...I use it on the whole plant (I spray it on with one of those portable sprayers) up until about 2 weeks before harvest, then I make sure to only pour it into the soil. The veggies seem to grow faster and I don't have problems with black spot on my roses anymore (the bain of NW gardeners <g>).

You might try ordering from a NW seed source, like Territorial Seed. They test all their seeds in their own test gardens in the Pacific Northwest and are developed for our growing season/conditions.

Hope this helps.
    CindieLynne

7. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

CindieLynne, So you start them 2 months before last frost date then when do you set them out?

Did you get the big storm? We are half way between Eugene and Roseburg, and we got a skiff then it melted....we were a little sad.

8. gardencatz

gardencatz Member

Wow, you must be REALLY close to me because we're halfway between Eugene and Roseburg, too (in Drain). We moved from the Beaverton area last May. Pass Creek surrounds our property and it's such a paradise! My husband works in Eugene and my son goes to UCC, so it seemed just about the right place.

I start setting my plants out a week or two before I plant them. I planted them a little late last year because I knew we were moving...set all my little starts in the bottom of my husbands boat and towed them behind the truck from Beaverton to Drain<g>). Usually, they've got a couple of leaves on them and can take a bit of the weather when I set them outside. I only leave them out for an hour or two at first, unless it's unseasonably warm.

I was sad to see the snow melt, too, but don't think we've seen the last of it. My son was in Beaverton visiting friends and they've got quite a bit of it up there. At least the hills are still covered.

CindieLynne

9. gardencatz

gardencatz Member