any one use solar panels?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jennifer Brewer, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

we are looking into building a new home, and would REALLY like to do on grid solar power. our area offers net metering, and the lot and home design would work really well for it. and with net metering you don't need batteries, so that's money saved.

i was wondering if any one here has ever installed it?

they make a new kind (a laminate) that lays between the seems of your metal roof. that's what i really want.

on that topic, any one ever installed a standing seam metal roof?

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

There are lots of users of PVs on this list. You may get more response to a question like this in the Alternative Energy forum.

We've been using PVs since 1981 or so, and wind generated electricity since 1977. I personally prefer using the "old fashioned" aluminum framed panels, mounted away from buildings, to avoid any potential roofing problems.

3. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

We are in the same position. Building a new home on Grid wanting to use the same laminate Solar Panels on a metal roof.

We like the product and will put on a apprpriate metal roof.( We have a metal on our current home and love it).

Budget will dicate how much we can afford. We plan on investing in solar hot water first( better return) and then as much solar power as we can afford.

We are still waiting to hear about the new solar panels from South Africa though.

Jill

4. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

i went ahead and reposted on the alt energy thread.

5. icehorse1

icehorse1 Member

Jennifer, You might be interested in reading the attached article on our grid intertied PV system from a reporter at our local newspaper (opps-I can't do that on this board; I'll send you a PM). I don't know where you live but getting local electric companies (especially coops) to conform to the net metering rules is, I find, a problem. Make sure you and they have a very clear understanding that all excess power is to be bought back at "retail", not "wholesale"! Good luck! We're saving about 30-40% on our electric bills over last year; best investment we've ever made.
    Jennifer, if you'll send me your email address I'll send the newspaper article. I think you'll find it helpful in making your decision. My email is willpote@hughes.net