Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting one here, something that dislikes the taste of gas, but is big enough to bring home a case of a favored beverage or sack of grocerys. I need it to carry 250 pounds, and must run up to 60 mph.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
My son has had a number of scooters and mopeds and small motorcycles over the years. A lot of them seem to follow him home, and he has gotten a reputation locally for being able to get them running for folks. He weighs about 220# I would guess. He uses a 1972 or so Honda 125 motorcycle a lot around town, as it has better brakes and more power to keep up with traffic. He also has kept one of his moped, and talks about getting a scooter or moped with a 4 cycle engine instead of a 2 stroke. Mopeds are limited by law to lower speeds, but scooters can be obtained with bigger engines and brakes. A friend has a 250cc Vespa that he bought new recently--not cheap--that is very nice.

I would check on eBay to see what kinds of machines are out there, and what the prices run, unless you want a new one, in which case check out a dealer. Avoid the Chinese built machines.

·
Registered
966 Posts
A good one would be an older Honda Helix 250. They will go that fast & carry 250# , & should get about 65-70mpg. If you could settle for less speed, you could get much more mpg. I get 128mpg on my little " scooter "!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Honda Silverwing here. 54 mpg and can carry 5 sacks of groceries under the seat. 584 cc engive that they say will do 110. I have had it up to 85 and thats plenty fast for me.

·
Premium Member
17,939 Posts
Ask Tallpines, she just bought some kinda scooter made in Russia. I think it's called a "Ural."

·
Registered
630 Posts
i have a 200cc chinese enduro that they claim gets 100miles on .91gals .. thats a bit generous...its more like 85. only cost 1500 new

its a 5 speed and i can take it trail or field riding... also it will do 60-65mph with the engine cranking at 7 grand.. has front and rear disc brakes w anti-loc

i dont think i would ride it on a highway tho... i carry a backpack for groceries

·
Formerly 4animals.
1,035 Posts
your going too want too look at the yamaha ZUMA and VINO and VINO125.. also check out tomos mopeds www.tomosusa.com tomos makes some high quality machines. some will remember the old PUCH mopeds. they produced those

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Cabin Fever said:
Ask Tallpines, she just bought some kinda scooter made in Russia. I think it's called a "Ural."

My "Ural" is 750 cc.
I think it is a motorcycle rather than a scooter---------but I'm still learning the terminology :shrug:

Lots of groceries will fit into the side car but that side car creates a lot of drag that cuts way down on milage.

(I take my road test on Thurs :) )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts