Any one live in Montana?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Morning Owl, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Morning Owl

Morning Owl Well-Known Member

I was wondering if any one here lived in Montana. I would be nice to meet some people around my area. Maybe trade with, help each other with projects or ideas. :shrug:

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I grew up in Montana (Red Lodge area) and have a long distance homestead that we are setting up for retirement in the Roundup area. Currently live in Casper Wy.

There are a few regulars on here in Montana, Sisterpine being about the most active.

So where in Montana are you?

3. mtmama

mtmama Well-Known Member

I am in the north west part of Montana. Where are you?

4. Morning Owl

Hey I'm so glad people answered :dance:

I live in Helena, well actually Union Ville 4 miles out side of Helena, but straight up, 1000 ft higher. 1.16 acre with a 600 sq ft log home built in 1910. Been working my back side off trying to get it livable before winter hits.

5. Ralph in N.E.Oh

Ralph in N.E.Oh Humble Shepherd

Northeast Ohio...60 minutes east of Cleveland
    My son and dil live in Kalispell. We went out a couple years ago by train. What a trip! It is a beautiful place! A bit dry for my liking but very pleasing to the eyes.

6. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Howdy~
    I live just outside of Roundup, MT. :)
    Nice to meetcha!
    Steph

7. carly

carly on winged flight...

Don't live there, but would love to live in the town of Livingston....I am in NYS now and am ready to move and MT is on the top of the lisr. My great grands homesteaded Northern MT in 1890.....and it went generational till 1955.
    I like Red Lodge also and Kalispell, and Fort Peck area.
    Anybody can tell me how home prices are in the livingston area?

8. Morning Owl

Does any one know of some one here in Monatana that sells Dexters or Highlands?

9. homeinmontana

homeinmontana Active Member

Carly, the areas you are interested in(with the exception of Fort Peck) are very beautiful, kinda trendy, and may be a tad on the expensive side compared to some other areas of the state. But then again the whole shebang is going up up up in price the last couple of years!

Morning Owl, sorry but I have no ideas about cattle here except that I love to watch the cattle drives past my house in the spring and fall. Those are all beef cattle owned by some of the ranches around here. I am not too far from you.

Here is a link to a site (not mine) with some great pictures of my area http://york38special.com/ You can scroll down towards the bottom and there is a clickable map. Not a lot of "farm land", but it is home sweet home!

10. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Morning Owl - I don't know any dexter breeders in MT, but know of an excellent one in ND. He is located about 100 or so miles from the border. Has really nice animals. PM me if you are interested in his info. It would be worth the drive.

prairie

11. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Morning Owl- we live about an hour or so from you. On a mountain equal distance between Butte- Anaconda-Deer Lodge. I know we can go through the mountains in the summer and end up near near you too. Dont know anyone who has Dexters though. Nice to meet ya! sis

12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

I'm in Bozeman, not homesteading just now, but had an organic farm in New England years ago.

As for Livingston, it's changed in the last few years. In some ways, even though it's quite a distance, it's become a bedroom community for Bozeman. But prices there have also risen. A lot.

Sheila

13. SFM in KY

SFM in KY Well-Known Member Supporter

I grew up in south/central Montana on a ranch that was in part the original homestead by my grandparents. Lived in the area most of my adult life as well, moved to Kentucky some 7 years ago but still have friends there and am familiar with most of Montana.

There is someone in Montana that raises Highlands, I talked to them at one time about the possibility of buying a Highland bull to cross on heifers. That was in the late 90s and I cannot remember the name or where they were located for sure. I think I found the listing in a copy of the Small Farm Journal magazine ... they are on line now and might be a place to start.

14. Morning Owl

Homeinmontana my BF and I love to take the Harley up to York when the weather permits. We go to the York Bar 3 or 4 times a year just for one of their cheese burgers :D They make the best around these parts. Maybe some time we can meet there for cheese burgers :shrug: PM me if that would be ok with you. Do you own any critters?