Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up a bushel of pears off the ground in a customers orchard. I want to can them, but I don't know how.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I haven't read the link, but wanted to share a huge time-saver that was shared with me a while back. Use a melon ball tool to remove the seed bed. It gets the crunchy little spots around the seeds quickly, easily - and looks good, too.

·
Chief Bottle Washer
559 Posts
I didn't read the link either, but if you have a canner just read the book that came with it. It just says to peel, halve and core pears. Make a syrup of sugar and water, IF you wish, or you can just use plain water. Boil pears in water/syrup for a certain amount of time, put in jars, top w/ lids...etc then can according to your canner's instructions. I did that this year for the first time, too. Super easy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use the recipe in the Ball Blue Book. The great thing about canned pears ( and I do can many jars of them every fall) is that they don't lose anything in canning. They're great just to open and eat, in cobblers, great in pies, etc. I use a weak sugar syrup. You do need to put them in water immediately when you peel them, because they will brown easily.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
I also used (haven't had any to can in years) a melon baller to remover seeds. I peeled them, halved them, put them in water with lemon juice until I had them all peeled, put them in jars and covered with light sugar syrup. They looked beautiful in the jars and wonderful to just eat from jar.

Also, my Mother gave me a recipe for a fresh pear cake, same recipe as fresh apple probably. When I had all the halved pears I wanted, I would slice pears, cook in a little sweetened water and water bath them. Then used them for the fresh pear cake.

A lot of people used to make pear preserves. Pretty good stuff

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
I just make a simple sugar syrup as well.....have also made vanilla pears .....and if you add a jar of maraschino cherries, they will be light pink and so pretty....just made pear honey as well....we love pears

·
Registered
999 Posts
I will be canning pears soon... Must I peel them? I just did my first canning ever of stewed tomatoes. I researched and it seems that peeling was not a safety/taste requirement there, so I didn't do it, as when I cook with them, the peels don't bother us.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have made pear sauce too. Like apple sauce, but using pears instead.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I make pear halves, pear slices (great for fried pears, pear crisps, and pear pies), pear sauce, and pear preserves. I also use the cores and peels to make juice for jelly making. Plenty of recipes online--just search for pear canning recipes

I use a heavier syrup recipe when canning pears.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If you have raspberries you can throw in a handful of them into the jar of pears/syrup. Makes them slightly pink and gives a raspberry tang to the pears too.

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
Here's three ways:

Sorry pear but you're being let go. Your life's going in a different direction. You are part of a permanent outplacement.

What do you expect ITS FRIDAY!

Reactions: wanda1950

·
in memoriam
6,352 Posts
I don't can my fruit with sugar, however, I can my pears with leftover apple juice from the applesauce (when I cook my apples down, I strain a bit, and reserve the extra liquid for canning my pears). It really gives a great flavor to them! You can either peel by hand or dip in boiling water a few seconds and slide the peels off. I find using a small parry knife is faster than any other method I have found, to remove the cores.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the help. We used the simple syrup and canned a few. Got some more to do, but We have pickled so much this year I have to pick up a few more bottles!

·
Registered
336 Posts
When you are cutting/slicing them, as you finish one pear, put it into a solution of salt, vinegar, and water. 1 gallon water, 2 T of salt, and 2 T of vinegar. That will keep them from turning brown while you work. Drain them well before putting in your jars

·
in memoriam
6,352 Posts
how do you keep the pears white
After peeling/cutting them, I put them in the same liquid I am canning them with. That liquid contains apple juice. I heat some of this liquid on the stove, ladle the pears into the jars, add liquid, seal a few jars, then pour the rest of my liquid into the pot to heat before using. I try to efficiently utilize my canning time, so tend to process a lot in one day.

·
Registered
887 Posts
they have pears on sale for 89 cents i was thinking about getting alot of pears and canning them up,,do you think it would be worth it,,

·
Registered
446 Posts
For a special treat I like to simmer a couple of cinnamon sticks in the simple syrup for about 10 minutes or so. Remove the sticks and add the pears and follow the regular hot pack recipe. Cinnamon Pears are delish.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I canned some a few weeks ago in a light syrup with vanilla beans and two cloves per pint. The recipe also called for cinnamon but that didn't sound tasty so I left it out. They are out of this world! So much so, I went and picked another 1.5 bushels to do more!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts