Any One Built A Backyard Bbq(pit Style)?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BASIC, Jun 19, 2005.

1. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Has any one built a pit style BBQ?If not,do you have any ideas where I can find information on building one?Thanks,BASIC.

2. Kimon

Kimon Not a Cannibal

Great post Idea, I am looking to build one too. I actually am planning a whole outdoor kitchen. I have seen a couple of diy on the net but have not found exactly what i am looking for. I would love to see pics of any built by the members here.

3. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Just my bottom-line notions again BUT --- if ya just want to build something, do it. NOW, the fact(s) is just put a few concrete blocks in a square with an open end, find the grate out of an old freezer, etc. --- cook to your hearts content. One block high is plenty enough.

4. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

Must be something in the air (the smell of barbacue, maybe?)- I was just looking on the internet for firerings.

THE book to get on building an outdoor kitchen and a buncha other things is "How to Build Your Dream Cabin in the Woods" by J. Wayne Fears. He gives excellent information on heat, lighting, cooking, outhousing, building and security. I've read it several times, it's that good. Fears is a wildlife biologist and has built and organized several hunting camps.

One site that he recommended is great: www.pilotrock.com. They have park quality firerings, grills, benches etc. for sale to the government and businesses as well as the public. I've decided to purchase the FA-30 series campfire cooksite, it's about $150 but I have no idea how much shipping a 100# iron fire ring is going to be!

Fears also decribes how he made his own fire ring. Also decribes how to build Aldo Leopold chairs - I'm gonna try to make a couple myself. Of course, that means I have to buy some kinda saw now. I foresee a basic carpentry class in my future...

hope this info helps,

Beaux