Any Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Songbird, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've been having a terrible time with acid reflux lately. It comes upon me after I go to bed even though I haven't ate for hours. Anyone know of any natural remedies for it. It's making my nights miserable lately. :Bawling:

2. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

There was a thread on this several weeks ago. I have acid reflux and heart burn. The doc told me to raise the head of my bed 4 to 6 inches. He prescribe some medicine for me at the time. I hate taking the medicine. I would take tums, but it took alot. I have a guy who I work with who has acid reflux and heartburn. He is 300 pounds on the hoof. His doctor told him he could prescribe him medicine to take, because frankly, doctors sell medicine. The doctor ended up telling him to take "apple cider vinager". He told him to put several tablespoons in a glass with a small amount of water and he could add a tablespoon of honey and drink it down. My friend said it was instant relief. I had read about apple cider vinager from others, so I tried it. I ate a late supper one night, chilli I think. Before going to bed, I mixed me a glass and drank it down. WOW, instant relief. I don't think I had slept so good in a long time. I would have never believed it if I had not tried it. Anytime I feel heart burn coming on, I get me the vinager. I have a bottle at work also. After about a week, you get used to the taste and will probably not need the honey. I hope this helps.

3. reese

reese Well-Known Member

We're big supporters of Organic ACV (apple cider vinegar). It's a great source of probiotics and helps with balancing the acids. I dilute it a lot in water (just cause I don't like the flavor) and sip at it, but dh takes his lightly diluted and gulps it down with an ahhhhhhhh, but he's the one with GERD. It kicks the stomach flu like nothing else can as well. We get ours at a health food store or at a grocery store that has a good health food aisle. Reese

4. KoehlerHills

KoehlerHills Western Wisconsin

Hubby uses baking soda in water. Not much, I spose a 1/2t. or less in a cup of water.
    He also swears by Coke a Cola. If he's out and about in the world ( not at home ) he'll get himself a can of this, take a sip or two and that's it, instant relief for him.
    I'll have to tell him about the ACV....pretty sure we have some too.

5. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Look to your diet! Too much caffeine? Too much sugar? Too many fizzy drinks? Too much alcohol? Eat meals that are too large, or too fatty? Do you eat quickly, without chewing properly? Eat too soon before bed, without giving things time to digest? Do you smoke? All these things and more can cause acidity and heartburn.

Here's a long discussion that might interest you. Meantime, the bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water does give quick relief, but because it's a form of sodium, you don't want to do it too much or too often. Mint (any kind) or dill or fennel or ginger will definitely help in the short term.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/herbal/msg0421230028414.html?75

6. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Mint is a no no--most home remedies make you feel better by, as mint does, RELAXING the LES. That is the root of the problem--you want it tighter, not looser. Go to the gut docs web site and learn about life style changes. If they do not work, get some meds. This stuff can cause throat and lung cancer. It isn't about the pain, but about the damage!

7. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

My husband was on Nexium for years. Then he started taking 2 T. of apple cider vinegar per night (he takes it straight up), and was able to go off of his meds completely. It's been almost two years since he has taken a pill for it.

8. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband cut out all pork in this diet and does not suffer from acid reflux at all anymore.

9. SmartAZ

SmartAZ Well-Known Member

10. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

Once upon a time, I drank lots and lots of Mountain Dew at my job. After a few years of this, I started getting really bad heartburn. Eventually started interfering with my sleep as I couldn't lie flat anymore without getting acid in my throat. Gained a lot of weight at this job too. Finally had enough, quit the job, quit the Dew, went on Atkins. Lost lots of weight but I also seemed to develop an intolerance to some types of starches. Couldn't eat anything with sugar or corn syrup in it or anything resembling oatmeal or crackers or bread without getting heartburn. Also would get hearburn if I went too long between meals.

Now I've found a happy medium in my diet... no sugared soda, little fruit juice, lots of whole fruit and vegetables, plenty of meat, whole grains, NO CORN SYRUP. I still get heartburn if I go too long between meals, but a swig of dill pickle juice helps relieve it. Also, I drink soymilk when I get heartburn and it takes care of things pretty much right away.

I always find it fascinating to hear what affects other people's heartburn. It varies so wildly. I have been told by several people to try the ACV. Haven't yet, but I plan to.

11. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

All good advise. Also, try elivating the head of the bed 4-6 inches higher than the foot. Worked for me, and You don't notice the difference in the bed.

12. AR Cattails

AR Cattails Well-Known Member Supporter

Can the apple cider vinegar be the one you would normally find in the grocery store aisle (I think the Heinz brand) or do you have to get the organic or natural kind of apple cider vinegar for it to help acid reflux?

13. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Interesting remedy, ACV. My husband's been on meds for years and has trouble within three hours if he missed taking it in the morning.

My dad said his reflux stopped completelywhen he lost weight. Honestly, he didn't look like he needed to lose much, but dropped about 30 pounds on the South Beach Diet. Reflux completely dissappeared.

Being a bit overweight does have something to do with acid reflux and hiatal hernias.

14. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

ACV works, and enzymes help (like papaya or pineapple enzymes).

But I've yet to hear form anyone who has tried this one that it doesn't work: eat an apple every day. No more heartburn!

15. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I was on Nexium and stopped. Started taking Betagest from a company called GNLD. It has really helped me. The cider vinegar helped some but not as much as this stuff does.

16. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

The few times I seem to get it, I drink at least a shot glass of grape or blackberry wine and it helps. But usually a small glass is what I'll drink.

HOpe you find something that works for you.

Angie

17. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

Wish I'd known about the ACV when I had acid reflux. I used to get it at least 4 to 5 times a week. I have a very high pain threshold, but the pain from GERD would often make me cry.

The doc put me on Axid and that really helped, but we lost our insurance and I had to drop it.. Tums just made things worse, I had a pharmacist tell me that they cause more acid. :shrug: Zantac75 helped, but not all the time. ANYTHING *with* mint caused acid reflux for me... some for any kind of soda, including coca-cola. Tomatoes and caffeine were a big no-no. :nono:

Finally after ruining a camping trip with my family because I was in such pain with it I realized I had to do what that first doc advised - lose weight. I lost 30 lbs. last year which took me from almost obese back into the "normal" range on the BMI scale and the acid reflux went away. :hobbyhors I realize 30 lbs. may not sound like much, but I'm a shorty, so every extra pound looks and feels more like an extra 3 lbs.

As for natural remedies.. the ACV sounds wonderful. You can also try some acidophilus. As you can see here, different remedies work for different people, you'll have to try a few and find out what works for you.

18. chickmomma57

chickmomma57 Well-Known Member

Here is another vote for papaya enzymes. Helps with heartburn, upset stomach or just plain ucks. Can get it in the health food stores. Chew one or two tablets (taste pretty good too) and heart burn is gone.

Sounds like a commercial, but works.

19. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys for all of the suggestions. I will try the ACV. Does it matter what kind I use? Can I just use whatever is at the grocery store?

I am working on losing the 30 to 40 pounds that's crept up on me the past 10 years. I've only developed this chronic acid reflux lately, but I am at my highest weight ever. That is probably the biggest reason I'm having so much problem with the reflux now.

20. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

I control mine ...... no WHITE FLOUR products ...... no SUGAR ( I use stevia or splenda now ) ...... switched from coffee to tea ........ eat yogurt ( Stoneyfield ) everyday . I gotta say the yogurt helped me the most ..... Stoneyfield has 6 live active cultures and I think that is what keeps the acids in check . I eat whole grain breads and make my own granola . White flour products ( bread , cookies or cake and even crackers ) set it off immediately .
    Oh and since I have been eating the whole grain bread and homemade granola ..... I have lowered my total cholesterol by 57 points in 5 months :)