Any Missourians who make maple syrup?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jun 20, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

According to maps, missouri has sugar maples. Do any of y'all make syrup down there?

2. dkwhite

dkwhite Member

I've been in MO my whole life. Grew up near the Lake of the Ozarks and now live near Springfield. I have never heard of anyone around me making syrup. I don't ever recall seeing a sugar maple either. What part of Missouri do the maps show as having sugar maples?

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

4. Maria

Maria Well-Known Member

My parents live in S.W. Missouri, and my dad taps the maples on their place and makes syrup each year. They started that after I left home, though, so I've never seen it done.

5. DinOzarks

DinOzarks Member

I've lived in the Missouri Ozarks all my life (about 40 years) and don't know of anyone personally that now does it. Some older folks at our church I was talking to one day said that the old timers (pre 1950's) did make some. Interestingly enough they said a syrup was also made from hickory sap also.
    DM

6. collegeboundgal

collegeboundgal -Melissa

dkwhite, I live just north of springfield. sugar maples are the trees that turn that bright orange in the fall. a lot of cemeteries use them as decoration. our conservation magazine had an article in it about how they're starting to take over our river bottoms and such. this is the link to that article:

http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2004/03/40.htm

it's in the 2004 march issue. a good all around magazine if you don't get yours. I think their free or really cheap if you want to sign up.

melissa

7. dkwhite

dkwhite Member

Melissa, You've exposed my ignorance. I'm familar with those. I've always known them as Hard Maple. I didn't realize they were one in the same. I'm about 15 minutes NW of Springfield, but I'm almost positive I don't have any sugar maples on my land. I wish I did. I'd love to try my hand at making syrup.

I get the Conservationist magazine and have for several years. Of course it's obvious now that I don't read all of the articles.