Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about going back to school to be a midwife. I don't know anyone who has, so i'm looking to pick a few brains please!
Where did you go to school( if you did formal school)?
How did you find out about it?
How could i find a midwife to work with?
Any help would be great!
I'm also looking for books on the subject if anyone has some they would like to sell. thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Google is your friend. Are you going to stay in New York? then New York regulations would govern. Every state has different laws about direct-entry (lay) midwifery. Sometimes they forbid it enitely. I know some ladies have apprenticed with Amish midwives to do home births.
If you are talking about nurse-midwifery, that's a Master degree on top of a BSN. Its a lot of money and you are limited in your practice to what ACOG and ANA limit you to. In most states you are not allowed to practice home birth and wind up working thru a interventist oriented hospital clinic ...

Ina May Gaskins is the chief midwife on The Farm Commune in Summerville, TN. Look for her book Spiritual Midwifery. You might try to find a contact number for the Farm and try talking to their midwifes, butthey won't be able to advise you about NY State laws.
You had better have some real good childcare for your own lined up in advance, because lots of babies don't read the rules and come in 20 minutes, or in 2-3 days, and definetly in the wee hours of the morning.

I thought I would stay in Virginia. Work as a nurse till the kids were grown, then do direct entry midwifery, but as an RN I am barred from doing direct entry. And at my age and disagreeing with the politics of ANA I ain't going for a masters...

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
http://2www.narm.org/
They have the cert process and list of schools, midwives in each are to talk to, etc... There are lots of schools now. Lots of them are distance ed, to allow you to work with a midwife where you are while you are learning.

If you mean CNM, not CPM, I can't help you. Don't know anything about that.

Cindyc.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am a CA Licensed Midwife. You can look up our education process on the California Medical Board website under allied health.
I did home deliveries for 10 years, currently I work for an OB and also for a perinatologist.
Best of luck,
motivated

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am aware of the laws in NY. No lay midwives only nurse midwives, kind of defeats the purpose I think!
I am Hoping this will change if not I will go back to NH, where i'm from after school.
I have read Ina May's book and everthing else my library has!
All my kids are now in school so I am going to go back. I am lucky enough to have both sets of grand parents around, one right next door! They will all move with us if we leave the state.
I am looking into schools..one in VT( Elizabth Davis run's it and i loved her book Heart and Hands)
and one in Maine ( Birthwise)
Both do distance learning and apprentice ships.
Thanks for the input guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts