Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "promise" it won't be a death sentence. I got to thinking, and if I could get one from someone here on the board who knows their stuff that I could call (and I promise I won't abuse that privelege either) and could help me keep an eye/ear on the little one til s/he is firmly established...

I have been reading and reading until my eyeballs are bleeding. And what I have discovered is, I am still a rookie with a lot to learn. I would rather get a healthy critter from a trusted source than take my chances with a breeder unknown. I have been researching breeding farms around here and found out I still don't know what to look for. I really don't care about bloodlines, I don't milk, I don't intend to show, I don't intend to eat. A mix would be great, a purebred would be great- I love them all. I need a fuzzy baby to fill this hole in my heart (twice over). You "know" me enough by now to know that I will give anything I have and do anything I can for any of my critters. A critter is a life long commitment and I have never taken that lightly, EVER.

I also understand after all my reading that sometimes, things happen. They just do. I cannot undo my ignorance, but can only learn from it. That being said, if anyone (I would travel to PA or even into VA) has a baby that needs a loving home, consider me. ****** (1 year old wether) is going CRAZY out there alone and I am petrified to make the first step...but I need to, soon. Very very soon.

What I have learned:
1. Follow my gut.
2. Get vet out immediately for well baby check and to have proper vaccines and antitoxins on hand.
3. Limit out door exposure unless kid has already been outside. I was doing that, but not good enough; I may have moved too quickly following HER lead instead of MY heart and gut.
4. Be more persistent in bottle feeding. It was more important than I realized. I learned some more techniques to try to get the kid to accept the bottle.
5. Live on the net. Learn learn learn. And then Learn some more.
6. No grain. Not twenty pieces, not ANY pieces until kid is older. Period.
7. Even more than I can list here.

My heart is ready, my home is ready. I even invite you out to see the place so you can see for yourself the home the babe would be going to and meet her/his companion.

·
Registered
805 Posts
With really small babies, why have the expense of a farm visit? ($50-$60+ whatever tests, etc.) Take them into his office and save some $$$. Get the breeder to disbud and ask about him doing vaccinations.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I wish I had a baby right now for ya. If I find anyone I will let you know. I know some Nubian breeders in St. Mary's but they want $300. They do know a lot though about goats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts