Any knowledge re: mobile home-rated wood stoves?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Home~Maker, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Home~Maker

Home~Maker Urban Homesteader =0)

I was talking to my husband yesterday, after doing a little research online, and we're thinking of looking for a wood burning heat stove for our mobile home. We live in a park but own the house. We're also in northern Indiana, where natural gas heating costs are expected to rise between 40% and 70% this winter.

I know there are stoves out there that are rated for mobile homes, and that it is possible to install one that is in line with homeowner's insurance using proper wall and floor heat-blocking (and inflammable) materials, an air intake through the floor, a minimum double-wall chimney, etc., but so far I just have basic information. My parents have used a woodburning stove for years now but they are in an older, traditional "stick-built" house.

Is there anyone here who has actually gone through the process (especially in Indiana and/or on rented property) of purchasing and installing a wood heat stove in your mobile home? Is it possible to find a good one that doesn't have two or three times the heating capacity we need? Our house is only about 13'X60' and I don't think we really need one that's capable of heating 1200-3000 square feet :rolleyes:

As far as my rental agreement, it's pretty basic (no pets, no clothes washer, no renting out to someone else, etc.) and stipulates nothing about this so I don't think I'll have any problem there. We do have a large enclosed porch, about 8'X13', which would be ideal for storing a stack of wood out of the weather (if I can clean out enough space loll).

I have no problem whatsoever with purchasing a good used stove but I'm not sure I could find one this late in the year, with the coming rate hikes that are expected, so it will probably have to be new, but if I should find a used one, what should I look for? What are possible warning signs that I should look for to alert me to a possible scam (a worn-out stove, cracks, etc.)? I seem to have "sucker" stamped on my forehead because people are always taking advantage of me in one way or another :grump: , so I'd appreciate any help in this area, as well.

I have a small collection of links to mobile home-rated stoves saved in my homesteading favorites (hehe) but probably less than ten so far, so if anyone else has a handy link or two for a less-expensive model I'd be grateful.

Thanks ahead of time for any info you might have to share! :D

Ohh, and P.S.-I'd prefer, if possible, to get a stove that has a burner or two on top for cooking and for heating a teapot to keep the air from getting too dry. Our regular stove is gas, too. We eat alot of stews and things cooked in a skillet so that would be truly a huge plus (not to mention just really cool)!! :sing:

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We got our wood stove from the local home improvement store. It was rated for mobiles.