Any Iron Skillet Fanatics Out There?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sylvia, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Well-Known Member

Hi I just finished reading MARVELLA's marvellous recipe for corn bread made in her iron skillet. It got me wondering if I'm not being as creative as I could be with my skillets. I am so fanatical that I have different ones for different uses. My smallest ones are for individual pancakes, my next size up is for grilled cheese sandwiches, the next one for omelets, the next one for frying up veggies, the next one for meats. There's one that's waiting for recipies- a huge cauldron type with lid- I'm building an outdoor pit come spring! I even have some in the shape of fish, and gingerbread people. They all stay in my oven and I get a real workout moving them out everytime I go to bake something! LOL

Anybody have any favorite recipies or stories to share regarding this wonderful cookery? Thanks.

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Nope no recipes or stories.Just thought id say hi,one cast iron addict to another.Fishy corn bread pan. :rolleyes: We have one small pan set aside as a corn bread pan.They sure brown it nicely dont they.
    Ive got plenty of pans already but i recently noticed one at Walmart that has to be 28inches across.I just gotta have it.Cant wait to see the look on my Friends faces when i pull that sucker out to cook over our camp fire.Thats my favorite way of cooking in them by the way.(over an open fire/hot coals) We usually camp out a lot and they sure work well.
    I have been thinking of building a BBQ pit in my back yard to smoke meat.But i hadn't really thought about making it so as i can cook over the burn down side of it with my pans.Humm good idea! Looking to make it a really nice usable pit.The more bells and whistles the better. :D A pot hook (like used in old time fire places)to hold pots over the fire would be cool as well.

Ive still got to get a flat griddle and dutch oven.And then learn to use the dutch oven. ;)

Happy cooking to ya!

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I have 58 seperate and different pieces, does that qualify as a fanatic?

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

58 pieces! :worship: Bet you have to keep them in a bottom cabinet.May even need some extra floor supports under the kitchen. :D

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Moopups beats me in number, but I use mine for everything. Makes a great deep dish pizza. Cornbread and other casseroles are great. I use them as a wok. They are indestructible and terrific. I consider using them a workout.

6. Sandhills

Sandhills Well-Known Member

I love cast iron cook ware. I have 2 large cast iron pizza pans by Lodge. I bought them on clearance from Walmart. They make wonderful pizza. They also keep it hot so your second and third pieces are just as hot as the first piece. I would love to find 2 more of these but Lodge doesn't make them anymore. :no:
    We have homemade pizza on Friday nights so I get a lot of use out of them.
    I also love to make corn bread in a skillet. I keep looking for the muffin pans at auctions and yard sales. I also have my eye on a cast iron griddle but I'm too cheap to pay full price. But you had better move out of my way if I spot cast iron at a yard sale. My best buy so far was a small round griddle for 75 cents. It was a little rusty so I took it home and scrubbed it up and seasoned it. I probably use this more than any other piece I own. It makes great tortilla's and pancakes. Anyway, yep! I love my cast iron.

7. Pauline

Pauline Well-Known Member Supporter

I think me and moms collection puts us well past the fanatic stage rough estimate we have the following:

outside/ camp dutch ovens 20 starting at a 5 going up to 20 qrt size (they feed tons of people)

indoor dutch ovens 4

frying pans 20

cornbread 7

muffin 3

biscuit 1

woks 2

griddles 4

roasters 4

yes we use them all the biggest 3 are the 20 qaurt size that I use for potlucks and demos we do with a group of Daughters of Utah Pioneers dh hates when I ask him to help me find a panas he can't tell them apart yet after being together for 14 yrs :haha:

8. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

when I was a kid, my dad made waffles sunday morning on a cast iron waffle maker-the kind that sits in a ring and you flip it.I searched for years to find one- and finally did-all rusty, handles gone but a good soaking in lye then coke plus a good wire brushing made it ready for seasoning.Works just fine, probably been making waffles a 100 yearsago- and will be making waffles a 100 yearsfrom now

9. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

although the quantity of my skillets nowhere near matches yours, the quality of my love for them is far reaching and never ending. My favourite thing to do is to 'rescue' them from thrift stores and neighbours who have burned them black and don't know what to do with them or have been using them outside until they are all rusty. I have

1 huge one - must be 2 feet across. Takes two hands if it's full of stuff.

2 10 inch across ones

1 6 inch.

I use them for everything. baking bread and cornbread, baking anything really, frying, deep frying, soups.... you name it.

Babs

10. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

I didn't know that you could cook cornbread in anything else. I use my iron stuff for cooking everything from soups to casseroles to frying to whatever. No special recipes, just cooking like normal.
    Love'em.
    mamabear

11. raggingbulltlc

raggingbulltlc New Member

i cook for fourty ppl in the dutch ovens. ive even been known to use aluminum ones. ill have to find the recipee but i cook a dutch oven lasangya in it thats really good.

heres asimple dutch oven cobler take a 12 inch oven a can of silced peaches in syrupe a box of cake mix i prefer the yellow butter flaverd ones and two stickes of butter and cinammon melt butter one stick in bottom of oven pour in peaches then cake mix dry on top level it off cut up outher stick of butter and place on top of mix spinkle with cinnamon cook with ten briquetts under it and 14 on top for about an hour rotating it every 15 minuts a quarter turn look at it after about fourtyfive minuts check for donness with a fork youll know when its done remember itllcontinue to cook in the oven after its off the coals enjoy

monty

12. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I'm not sure how many pieces I have, but probably 20 or more. It's all I use. I do most of my cooking on a cast iron wood cookstove and during the summer we keep an outdoor fire going for weeks and cook out there. Almost every piece I have was bought at junk shops or flea markets.

I have been trying to get one of those waffle irons. Every time I see one in an antique shop -I'm short of cash. Then when I have some - I don't see them. When I get my kitchen all done I plan on putting them in a pie safe (with sturdy shelves) to display them but to keep them near by because I use them.

13. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I use mine all the time. I don't have too many pcs. I do have three favorite fry pans, small, med. and large sizes. I have a med size round griddle, a corn shaped cornbread cooker, and a fish shaped one (has 10 small fish shaped areas for the bread. I have a heart shaped one that has 5 hearts in a cicle. I had several more pans but as my children have left home, I have given them one to take with them...

14. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I have so many pieces, never counted them. I have some in the camper, some in the house. I want a roasting pan. but ihave many pieces. and it is wonderful on my wood cook stove. i love it.
    debi

15. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We cook on a wood stove, so cast iron cookware is used daily.

We have about a dozen pieces, but I don't have any 'new' pieces. Just old, antique ones like Griswold.

Looking for cast iron covers! We have a couple sizes, but always keep our eyes open for more.

16. Sandhills

Sandhills Well-Known Member

So does anyone else have an Aebleskiver Pan? I bought mine when we visited a danish town in CA. After trying some Aebleskiver in one of the restaurants I had to buy a pan so I could make them myself.

17. Well I just counted mine and I'm up to 11 peices. The first 4 was inherited from my mother. Since I've gotten into outdoor cooking I have added a few more peices and would like to add even more someday as I can afford them.

I just happen to clean up 4 of them just a couple of days ago. I was burning a big brush pile and throwed 3 of my frying pans in. I reseasoned them and now they look almost brand new. Only problem will be is that my food will not taste quite as good in them for a while without all that extra flavor that accumulates in the blackness.

18. Pauline

Pauline Well-Known Member Supporter

Sylvia pmd me and asked for a few recipes after my post so I thought I would post them here for all who would like to try them,

Slavic Dinner
    3 qrts cooked pinto beans
    1 lrg potato shredded
    1 onion shredded
    2 qrts saurkraut
    2-3 lbs ham cooked ,trimmed of fat and cubed
    4 Tb lard }see note
    4 Tb flour } see note

Combine all ingredients except lard and flour , cook together until flavors are well blended, place lard in frying pan to melt add flour stirring often add to 1st mixture cook about 15 more min. enjoy is even better the next day

Note : can substitute 1 large brown gravy mix package for lard and flour which is what i normally due during a demo.

Cream Soda Biscuits

4-6 cups self rising flour
    1/2 cup oil
    1 12 oz can cream soda

mix together to form a soft dough roll out and cut place in a greased dutch oven and bake 30 to 35 min. 14 coals on top 8 on bottom , or 350* in home

Beef stew
    2-5 lbs stew meat browned
    5-10 lbs potatoes diced
    2-4 lbs carrots diced or sliced your choice
    1 bundle( cant remember what it is called ) celery diced
    5 large onions diced
    5 cans beef broth
    1 bag pasta(elbows or shells)
    2 qrts water
    2 lrg. packages brown gravy mix made up
    spices to taste

simmer in large dutch oven over hot coals 45 min to hour before serving
    may add other veggies as desired I have even added beans at times

Chili with beans

10 lbs of beans soaked
    10 lbs hamburger browned
    5 onions diced and browned with meat
    1 qrt tomatos
    5 small cans tomato sauce
    2 packages Carroll Shelby's texas chili blend

cook beans till soft add rest of ingredients cook another 45 min. ot till flavors are well blended.

roasts and chicken are good slow baked in them with veggies (potatoe,crrots,onions) and Italian dressing, Catalina dressing over them as they cook name brand do seem to work better for this.

as you can see I do boil and simmer in mine which a lot of people frown on but after done cooking in them i clean them up and oil them and with a paper towel in them and lid cracked open so they don't rust hope they make sense if not ask and I will try to make it easier to understand

19. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    I'm not really sure how many we have, but my favorites are my mother-in-law's cornbread skillet we inherited, the dutch oven my hubby bought me for Christmas years ago, (Yes, I told him I REALLY WANTED one for Christmas!) and the gigantic skillet that someone never used and was going to throw away that my husband got at the convenience center, for FREE!
    I love to cook pinto beans in my dutch oven. Nothing like 'em. And cornbread? That goes without sayin'. IS there any other way to make cornbread??? Naw.

20. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

I have about 40 pieces. I've started giving some away to the kids and a niece. I get them at yard sales and clean them up in the burn pile, too. I have an Aebleskiver Pan, too, but have never used it, maybe someday. I have a waffle iron also, but it's the tall type and didn't work on the wood stove, it didn't get hot enough. I think the tall type is made for a gas stove, or maybe you just put the griddle directly on the cook stove top? Does anyone know? Maybe the griddle stand is just for steading it while you pore in the batter?
    lacyj