Any info on Danish -Swedish Farmdog?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by MilkandHoney, Jan 7, 2007.

1. MilkandHoney

MilkandHoney Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any experience with a Danish - Swedish Farmdog? We are looking at adding them to the family farm. Any comments or suggestions on where to locate a reputable breeder would be great.

2. Oregon Julie

Oregon Julie Well-Known Member

Looks like a Jack Russell to me. I imagine there might be breeders of these dogs in the US or Canada, but it would be a heck of a lot easier to find a Jack Russell/Parson Russell Terrier.

Unfortunately JRT's are a dime a dozen and many are not well bred, so be careful if you go that route. Make certain that the breeder CERF (eye) tests all their breeding stock prior to breeding and throughout their lives. Eye problems are a big issue in the breed and if someone who doesn't test claims they have no problem, run the other way. They are either lying or ignorant, either way it is not something you want to get involved with.

3. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

There are several breeds that look like this dog type.

There is the Fox Terrier, the Parson Terrier (aka Jack Russell) and the American Rat Terrier.

Personally, out of those three I prefer the American Rat Terrier. It comes in two sizes, one that will mature around 10 - 12 pounds, and one that is larger, say around 25 or so pounds. The same breed is also called the Feist. They are all around farm dogs, with the possible exception of herding, I don't know about that. (Although a fellow down the road had six, and they put an Angus bull (that wandered onto his place) in the back corner of his pasture and kept him there!) The Rat Terrier is more laid back as an adult, so not quite so hyper, while still being active enough to serve the purpose.

In addition, Rat Terriers are quick to learn :) We had one when I was a child that I took to dog obedience classes and she was amazing.

Here is a picture of our pup - she is three months old in this picture.
    [​IMG]

So, no, don't know about the specific breed you are asking about. However from the article I suspect these breeds are pretty much related. The writer claims that Vikings owned dogs that were similar. Vikings invaded much of Europe, including England - where fox terriers and jack russells originate. The American Rat Terrier is a product of selective breeding from the Fox terrier, jack russell, Italian greyhound, and likely the beagle.

Good luck with your hunt for your dog - if you can't find one, maybe you will be able to find something similar that is more common here in the USA. :)

4. duckgal

duckgal Member

5. MilkandHoney

MilkandHoney Well-Known Member

thank you. this is a good site. we have also been able to find some sites from overseas folks that have been helpful.

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

how about a Swedish Vallhund? Hard-working, pint-sized herder...looks like a corgi w/ wolflike coloration.