Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just seen this week the roses next door and am wanting to try and germinate the seed to grow a few bushes, any ideas on how or what i need to do. i know the seeds are in the hips, the roses are pink and i can get bsome red ones also, don't know what color might show up out of the seeding. any body try this befor. thanks

·
Windy Island Acres
4,588 Posts
If your neighbor is willing, propogating is much easier and faster.
All he needs to do is lay a new cane on the ground (still attached to the plant) bury part of the stem several inches deep, holding it down with a brick or such, and let it root. Cut off from the parent plant, and voila! a rose plant is born.

U

·
0 Posts
from the american horticultural society illustrated encyclopedia of gardening: Roses:

Select a shallow tray or flat with several drainage holes; fill it with fine sand or vermiculite. Shell the seeds and plant them 1/2 inch deep. Water thoroughly.

Keep the sprouting medium warm (55-60 F) and moist, never soggy wet. Provide no light until the seeds begin to germinate; then give 16 hours of light a day.

Germination will begin soon, and it will contiune for 2 or 3 months. Seedlings emerge with a bent neck and straighten out in a few days. Coyyledons (seed leaves) will stretch out horizontally and turn green.

Then they are ready to be transplanted to a potting medium. The American Rose Society recommends a medium composed of equal parts of sterilized topsoil, perlite, and peat moss. To each bushel of the mixture, add 1 cup dolomite lime, 1 cup superphosphate, 1 cup rose food, and 1 cup 50 percent Captan.

Transplant the tiny seedlings into well drained, large plastic or metal pans or flats filled with the growing medium. Give them 16 hours of good light per day in a warm place (70 F). Fluorescent fixtures give excellent, controlled lighting for growing the seedlings.

Water sparingly. Blot off any water that remains on the leaves. Allow plenty of ventilation. After the first true leaves form, either put them in 3 inch pots with the same soil mixture as before, continue growing them in flats, or transplant them into the garden. Seedlings may bloom when they are several months old. Bud the seedlings that do well onto sturdy rootstock.
Mel-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts