any ideas for this problem?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SherryR, Oct 21, 2006.

1. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Hi, long ago I was a massage therapist. I wasn't certified because I attended college, and massaged at a physical therapy clinic while I did my 'field work' for my degree. Later, I quit school (for various reasons) and went to work massaging ladies at a nice salon. First baby came, couldn't bear to hand over to a sitter, so quit massaging. 2 moves and states later, near 14 years down the road, I'm looking to become a certified m.t.. Only problem---MONEY!!!!! I know how to massage, dont know for sure if I can recall all the stuff, medically, I need to know. In this state one must either have massage therapy course ($8,000) or 500 ceu of massage experience, or training. I can go ahead and take the test, but it's total is around 250 to 400 for all the fees. I dont believe I need to show my experience (for the written part) if I pass test, but I haven't yet found that out. I dont want to waste 400 smackers, if I'm not prepped enough. I certainly dont have $8000 and dont want to borrow. Dont know if this is right forum, so excuse me if it isn't.
    Anyone have any advice? I live in Maine.
    Sherry

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Call the nearest massage school and ask.

3. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

Go to the school you want to enroll in and talk to the financial aid department. They get paid to find you the financial help to attend the school. There are govenment grants to help "nontraditional students", there are scholarships, and student loans. The last has to be repaid but after you have graduated and have a job. Good luck

4. Rea

Rea Well-Known Member

Sherry,

Is it possible to contact the clinic and the salon you used to work for and get them to provide you with a record of the time you spent working for them to satisfy the hourly experience required? If so then you should be able to hit a college book store for second hand books on the medical subjects you need to brush up on.

If these options are not feasible, maybe you can find an employer who's willing to certifying you after working for them a certain amount of time.

Good Luck!

Rea

5. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

these are all good suggestions ladies; thanks for helping. I'm set against any loans, so mostly want a grant or something. Haven't yet talked to f.a. dept there; squeamish about wasting my & their time, if there's no answer. Yeh, tried calling the two places I worked, but one is out of business, (she's got a different salon place now) and the PT is retired, moved.

I will look into funding & maybe a small loan . . . hub is older than me, & worries about his earning potential for the future. He doesn't want or have bucks for my school. I dont blame him--we've been saving, investing, etc for the future. I am not in a big city, there wont be any large business to attend to. It would be a few customers a week, eventually, I think. Because I'm a bsy SAHM who homeschools one and the other is publicly schooled w/ special needs, I dont have a lot of time to earn back the loan right away. If I was 25, it'd be different.
    Thanks for listening! I guess I just needed to 'hash it out' here in writing.
    Sherry
    Keep you posted