Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a dwarf bunny by a friend who rescued him from a home where he was not well cared for and never left the cage. He weighs 3.5 lbs. and he's getting acclimated to our home. Our last dwarf passed away from old age 2 years ago so it was time for a new bun in the house!! The pic was taken at night with the flash so that is why the red eye. I want to try to get a better picture but it's dark today with rain so maybe tomorrow. :)

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Does he have Rex fur? Otherwise he's a mutt. 90% of what they call dwarf in pet stores are not dwarf rabbit breeds. They are just small mutt rabbits. Some might have a little Netherland dwarf or holland lop but those breeds have some production issues due to breeding them so small. Producers of pet rabbits don't want to deal with that. They often use small rabbits more in the mini category. Dutch and random lop mixes are frequently mixed in.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does he have Rex fur? Otherwise he's a mutt. 90% of what they call dwarf in pet stores are not dwarf rabbit breeds. They are just small mutt rabbits. Some might have a little Netherland dwarf or holland lop but those breeds have some production issues due to breeding them so small. Producers of pet rabbits don't want to deal with that. They often use small rabbits more in the mini category. Dutch and random lop mixes are frequently mixed in.
How would I know if he had Rex fur?

I figure he's most likely mutt. Oh and he's VERY much enjoying his new found freedom! I also have not ever seen a bun jump as high as he did just a little bit ago when I scared him. LOL Had to be a good 2.5 feet!

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
I figured since you've had a rabbit before you could tell if the fur was different. If it is a quick look online would explain that Rex fur is shorter and denser than normal and there are a million pictures of Rex rabbits.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His fur is soft like our last bun but definitely longer and thicker. So I guess old run of the mill mutt, huh? :) Yeah, we've pretty much had rescue rabbits so what they are - we have no idea. We don't even know how old this guy is!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts