any homesteaders near modesto?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by frontiergal, Aug 14, 2004.

1. frontiergal

frontiergal Well-Known Member

Well finally I am going west. Sept. 15th. I am moving to modesto. I 'm wondering if there are any members in modesto area? I am moving in with my best friend and the triplets :) and looking for work caring for elderly people in their homes. I have been working out here caring for people in their homes and I really enjoy the work.Anyways I am wanting to meet like minded people who homestead and grow organic veggies ect. Thanks ,Heidi

2. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

I'm about 100 miles south of Modesto, this is a big state.
    That's about 1 1/2 hours away, flat land most all the way
    You picked a good time to move here, the hottest part of the year :haha:
    Good time to start planning next years garden, melons do REALLY well in Modesto.

Enjoy your move and welcome to CA.

Kris

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I am about 4 hours south from there. Stay in touch!

4. frontiergal

Thanks, I am excited I haven't seen my kids in three years they are down in Ventura. I have lived in Ventura and Vacaville........Hum I have a thing for v towns :haha: I hoping to find lots of in home work near modesto because I want to be near the babies and my best friend of course. I look forward to gardening. Hoping for a good year next year. Wonder how modesto fairs though el nino.

5. frontiergal

Westbrook where would four hours south be abouts?

6. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I am near Gorman...on your way down to Ventura. When you get settled in, let me know, we can meet for ice tea (if it is summer) or coffee (if it is winter) it will make a nice break from the drive.
    All of my children are scattered around the planet with the exception of 1, she is not old enough yet, so I know somewhat how you feel.

7. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

I was a reserve police officer in Modesto for 9 years. While the city part is totally modern the outlaying areas are largely agricultural with dairy’s, walnuts, almonds and peaches being the bigger crops. We lived in a small community called Escalon which is just a few miles north of Modesto. When we left (2001) housing was on the climb. I just did a check on realtor.com using zip 95320 (Escalon) and the cheapest property listed is $429K and that’s for a 1425sf house on a 55x95 lot on the outskirts of town. Everything else was a lot higher.

For the type of work you’re looking for you have some stiff competition because the illegal aliens like those “off track” jobs where they can get cash under the table. I did a few case work ups for the DOJ on this subject and I can tell you the illegal aliens do the work for about $3 to $4 an hour and they are VERY networked. So any foreign family will have an illegal from their country of origin working for them. Since Medicare only pays for licensed care if you want to work on the up and up you’ll need at least a CNA license and your own liability insurance to do legal home care.

As for true homesteaders: not likely. The Modesto area (Stanislaus, San Joaquin counties) is super zoned and you need a permit for everything. There are tons of family gardens, farmers markets and stuff like that but true “living off the grid homesteading” you won’t find near Modesto. As a police officer we did the city’s code enforcement and I can tell you there is an ordinance against just about everything but being a good little robot and letting government do everything for you… at a price of course.

We really liked the people and the weather but the illegal alien issue was just too much for us as we’re both medical professionals and got tired of people saying “no insurance, no money” in the native language and having to eat those bills.

I hope it works out for you in Modesto

8. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we're in MO now. Never lived in Modesto but that is where our adoption agency that we used for our Hannah was located.

Modesto is a long way from Ventura.

9. I (jillianjiggs) am located in Sacramento County, just out of Sacramento proper.

10. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

I am sitting out side of Yosimite, about one hour from modesto. Krissw I think you are close to me.

11. frontiergal

Wow there are a few people round modesto. I know that living in the city will make me a bit crazy considering that I have been living in a town of 800 for the past 5 years. But you do what you gotta do. I was suppose to be out there almost a year ago to help my friend while she was pg. The babies are 6 months old now. I will be buying a R.V. to live in and keep my stuff in storage. If the in home caregiving doesn't pan out I am not worried I am trained as a medical insurance claims examiner. I worked 6 years ago in Concord as a examiner. And in the many years of working I have worked retail and much much more. Could someone tell me what the growing season is like in modesto and some of what does and doesn't grow there? Thanks,Heidi

12. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

I was born and raised in Modesto and it's not like it used to be. I still have family there.

I would agree with the above. Land is outrageously expensive there, even in the "smaller" areas such as Escalon, Hughson, Ceres, Ripon. Part of the reason is that farmers are getting top dollar for their land due to all the development to cater to those who work in the Bay Area (San Francisco, San Jose, etc.). They work in the Bay Area, where they make really good money and live in the Modesto area, where they can still "barely" afford a house. I've heard 2 hour commutes (four hour total) are not uncommon.

Idaho is the way to go for the homesteading lifestyle. but in our area, CNAs probably make $6.50-$7.00, an hour.

I'm not much of a gardener right now, but I would say the growing season is long. Corn seems to grow really well. I remember our family gardens having just about everything. One zucchini plant would probably feed your whole neighborhood for the summer!

May God bless your move!

13. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Hi,
    We're about an hour and ten minutes from Modesto. We're in the foothills.
    It's expensive up here, too. Rent's are $1,000.00 a month or more for a place big enough for your brood.
    Good luck and let us know how it's going...
    lacyj

14. frontiergal

20 more days and I am on my way. I am so excited. I am not sure how long it will be before I can get my computer set up once I have moved but will try to update you when I can. Thank you all for the info. Heidi

15. frontiergal

Well I arrived on the 21st of sept. Had a good drive out and made it out without problems. Met up with snow in wyoming and nevada....not much though. Since I arrived my best friend has ended up in the hospital for mastitis and she has been very sick. Still not sure what will happen,They have talked about taking her breast.
    Babies are beautiful and is a blessing but boy three are a hecka lot of work.
    I want to keep in touch with all you folks around modesto.
    This town is a bit to big for me but it will have to do for now.
    Take Care,Heidi