Any homesteaders in New York State?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NewYorkGal, Dec 9, 2003.

1. NewYorkGal

NewYorkGal Guest

Just curious in which part of the state.

2. Tad

Tad Well-Known Member

Hi, New York Gal. I am probably not a "homesteader" but I work a dairy farm with my father, raise pigs,chickens and I try to keep up with some veggies. We are located in the town of Wales in Erie county, south east of Buffalo.

3. hi,,l think l'm a homesteader,,self employed handyman,,basketmaker,l produce some of my electric,all my heat,hotwater,cook on a cookstove,preserve some veg, in a root cellar,l even used a ice box instead of a fridge,raise some chickens for meat and eggs,,some people call me cheap,,lol,l live in chenango co. n.y

4. farmy

farmy Well-Known Member

We're up north, in Essex county, on Lake Champlain.

5. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Limp Bisket LOL

I'm in Broome County near Binghamton.

Stacy in NY

6. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Hi, there are many New York people here. I'm from Ellicottville in Cattaraugus County , that's about 50 miles south of Buffalo NY.

Carol K

7. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

I'm in Knox, at the edge of the Schoharie Valley. We run a CSA here.

Sharon

8. sheeplady

sheeplady Well-Known Member

Hello! I'm in Delaware County, southern tier of New York not far from Pennsylvania border. I work off the farm full time, but also have sheep and honey bees. Thats full time too! :) We used to have a large vegetable garden as well, but with limited time, now I trade , guess barter is a better word, lamb meat and sheep manure for organic vegatables from a nearby NOFA farmer.
    I have started a homebased mailorder business as well and hope that will generate some income when I retire in couple of years. WWW.SHEEPYVALLEY.COM.
    By the way, this farm will be for sale in three years as we are relocating to the Albany area to my late uncles farm. All set up for homesteading and the taxes are really low. :)

9. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello, NewYorkGal! Nice to meet you. I'm here in Broome Co., near Whitney Point. I work full-time in a hospital in Binghamton. I have 5 acres, and live a very simple life. I've been on my land for one year, and I do what I can to be as independant as possible. It'll be a long time 'til I can retire and homestead on a full-time basis.

10. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

11. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

Live in St. Lawrence Cty, about 15 miles from Canada. Raise Texas Longhorns and Jacob sheep.

12. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

I live in Rochester, NY....my 24 acres are in Bergen, NY

~Marisa

13. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Originally from Saratoga county, moved out to Idaho 5 years ago, and now we're moving back sometime between now and spring. We're currently looking at Chenango, Otsego, & Schoharie counties. Can anyone provide me with info on any of these counties? I know I received some info on PMs from some of you on the old system, but lost that info when they converted to this forum.

14. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Live in Broome County, a little community called Windsor. It is 16 miles east of Binghamton, NY and @8 miles north of the Pa. boarder...Joan

15. Whew! Thanks, enjoyed hearing from all of you.

I'm interested in getting away from city life - but not in one swell swoop.

I'm a native Texan and have found memories of my grandparents farm (outhouse, chickens, hogs, etc.).

I'm searching the internet for a (cheap!) cabin with acreage - and yet easy to get to from Manhattan (not ready to buy a car - since I don't need one here). Any suggestions on which area I should focus on?

Any suggestions on making a gradual transition? Over the past year I've read about living in a self-reliant manner.

I hike and backpack so am not a stranger to the woods.

Any insight on how you made the transition to homesteading is appreciated.

Suggested books to continue my study is welcomed.

Many thanks,

New York Gal (Jess)

16. NewYorkGal

NewYorkGal Guest

Oops! Forgot to log-in for above message.

17. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

Hi Jess - I assume you are not familiar with the geography around Manhattan. Anything under 2 1/2 hours is very expensive, even a tar paper shack (if you could find one) will run in the $180,000+ range and that would be with less than a 1/2 acre of land. Trailers in my area go for about $80,000-$100,000 if you can actually live in them at the time of purchase. No cabins, the weekenders bought them up long ago and turned them into LL Bean photoshoots.

I am on the edge of that 2 1/2 hour comuter range and technically you can take a bus to Manhattan ($28 round trip). There is also a train out of Dutchess County, but you would have to take a car to get to the station. Train costs as much as the bus, but runs less frequently. You could not live anywhere in upstate without a car. There is very little (almost 0) public transportation. Groceries are a 50 mile round trip in many areas. Another hour north it gets a little cheaper, but not much work is available.

Why do you have to be near Manhattan and why are you reluctant to get a car?

18. Tad

Tad Well-Known Member

Funny, two people from broome county. My wifes Aunt and grandparents live in Whitney point and Lisle. My sister in-law works at Wilson hospital in Binn. I wounder who here knows who! :eek:

19. NewYorkGal

NewYorkGal Guest

Hi Diane,

Yeah, what a difference 2 hours away can make in property prices. Whew - what a shock.

Can't afford to keep a car in Mahattan. I'd get a vehicle upstate. My idea is/was to see if I could commute on weekends - to get a feel for upstate.

Can't move permanently right now - I need the Manhattan salary. Another reason to be in Manhattan . . . I'm a struggling playwright!

Hmmm, guess I have to re-think this idea.

I'll continue my research. Where there's a will there's a way!

Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Jess

-------------------------------------------------------------------

20. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Howdy NewYorkGal,

Wow, alot more New Yorker's here than I thought. I live on a small farm in the Town of Spencerport, a few miles west of Rochester. Welcome!

CJ