Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi, New York Gal. I am probably not a "homesteader" but I work a dairy farm with my father, raise pigs,chickens and I try to keep up with some veggies. We are located in the town of Wales in Erie county, south east of Buffalo.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NewYorkGal said:
Just curious in which part of the state.
hi,,l think l'm a homesteader,,self employed handyman,,basketmaker,l produce some of my electric,all my heat,hotwater,cook on a cookstove,preserve some veg, in a root cellar,l even used a ice box instead of a fridge,raise some chickens for meat and eggs,,some people call me cheap,,lol,l live in chenango co. n.y

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
I'm in Broome County near Binghamton.

Stacy in NY

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello! I'm in Delaware County, southern tier of New York not far from Pennsylvania border. I work off the farm full time, but also have sheep and honey bees. Thats full time too! :) We used to have a large vegetable garden as well, but with limited time, now I trade , guess barter is a better word, lamb meat and sheep manure for organic vegatables from a nearby NOFA farmer.
I have started a homebased mailorder business as well and hope that will generate some income when I retire in couple of years. WWW.SHEEPYVALLEY.COM.
By the way, this farm will be for sale in three years as we are relocating to the Albany area to my late uncles farm. All set up for homesteading and the taxes are really low. :)

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Hello, NewYorkGal! Nice to meet you. I'm here in Broome Co., near Whitney Point. I work full-time in a hospital in Binghamton. I have 5 acres, and live a very simple life. I've been on my land for one year, and I do what I can to be as independant as possible. It'll be a long time 'til I can retire and homestead on a full-time basis.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Live in St. Lawrence Cty, about 15 miles from Canada. Raise Texas Longhorns and Jacob sheep.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally from Saratoga county, moved out to Idaho 5 years ago, and now we're moving back sometime between now and spring. We're currently looking at Chenango, Otsego, & Schoharie counties. Can anyone provide me with info on any of these counties? I know I received some info on PMs from some of you on the old system, but lost that info when they converted to this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Live in Broome County, a little community called Windsor. It is 16 miles east of Binghamton, NY and @8 miles north of the Pa. boarder...Joan

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whew! Thanks, enjoyed hearing from all of you.

I'm interested in getting away from city life - but not in one swell swoop.

I'm a native Texan and have found memories of my grandparents farm (outhouse, chickens, hogs, etc.).

I'm searching the internet for a (cheap!) cabin with acreage - and yet easy to get to from Manhattan (not ready to buy a car - since I don't need one here). Any suggestions on which area I should focus on?

Any suggestions on making a gradual transition? Over the past year I've read about living in a self-reliant manner.

I hike and backpack so am not a stranger to the woods.

Any insight on how you made the transition to homesteading is appreciated.

Suggested books to continue my study is welcomed.

Many thanks,

New York Gal (Jess)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi Jess - I assume you are not familiar with the geography around Manhattan. Anything under 2 1/2 hours is very expensive, even a tar paper shack (if you could find one) will run in the $180,000+ range and that would be with less than a 1/2 acre of land. Trailers in my area go for about $80,000-$100,000 if you can actually live in them at the time of purchase. No cabins, the weekenders bought them up long ago and turned them into LL Bean photoshoots.

I am on the edge of that 2 1/2 hour comuter range and technically you can take a bus to Manhattan ($28 round trip). There is also a train out of Dutchess County, but you would have to take a car to get to the station. Train costs as much as the bus, but runs less frequently. You could not live anywhere in upstate without a car. There is very little (almost 0) public transportation. Groceries are a 50 mile round trip in many areas. Another hour north it gets a little cheaper, but not much work is available.

Why do you have to be near Manhattan and why are you reluctant to get a car?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Funny, two people from broome county. My wifes Aunt and grandparents live in Whitney point and Lisle. My sister in-law works at Wilson hospital in Binn. I wounder who here knows who! :eek:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Diane,

Yeah, what a difference 2 hours away can make in property prices. Whew - what a shock.

Can't afford to keep a car in Mahattan. I'd get a vehicle upstate. My idea is/was to see if I could commute on weekends - to get a feel for upstate.

Can't move permanently right now - I need the Manhattan salary. Another reason to be in Manhattan . . . I'm a struggling playwright!

Hmmm, guess I have to re-think this idea.

I'll continue my research. Where there's a will there's a way!

Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Jess

-------------------------------------------------------------------
diane greene said:
Hi Jess - I assume you are not familiar with the geography around Manhattan. Anything under 2 1/2 hours is very expensive, even a tar paper shack (if you could find one) will run in the $180,000+ range and that would be with less than a 1/2 acre of land. Trailers in my area go for about $80,000-$100,000 if you can actually live in them at the time of purchase. No cabins, the weekenders bought them up long ago and turned them into LL Bean photoshoots.

I am on the edge of that 2 1/2 hour comuter range and technically you can take a bus to Manhattan ($28 round trip). There is also a train out of Dutchess County, but you would have to take a car to get to the station. Train costs as much as the bus, but runs less frequently. You could not live anywhere in upstate without a car. There is very little (almost 0) public transportation. Groceries are a 50 mile round trip in many areas. Another hour north it gets a little cheaper, but not much work is available.

Why do you have to be near Manhattan and why are you reluctant to get a car?

·
Hired Hand
1,671 Posts
Howdy NewYorkGal,

Wow, alot more New Yorker's here than I thought. I live on a small farm in the Town of Spencerport, a few miles west of Rochester. Welcome!

CJ

1 - 20 of 24 Posts