Any home built goat feeders?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dezeeuwgoats, Oct 25, 2006.

1. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I need to make a new goat feeder for my nubians and I was wondering if anyone had made anything that they were really, exceptionally pleased with? Pictures would be great - anything to get some ideas going. :nerd:

thanks;
    Niki

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I built all my feeders (why buy something that won't work well when you can build it instead! LOL! J/K). I think I can rustle up some photos.

This is my alfalfa feeder (which could be also used for a hay feeder if you wanted). It is about 5 feet long and I think 14-16inches deep? I will have to measure it again...I am probably off on that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my hay feeder for the girls (wide and deep enough for fit a large 3 tie bale on its side)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do have another feeder which is similer to the one above except it is on the inside of the pen and it is made of cattle panel (with a wooden box frame on it). I don't have any good photos of that one though. I like my feeders alot but there is some slight waste on the hay feeder. It is deep for I can fill it up alot when needed AND the plus is it is on the outside of then pen so no fussing with goats to get in there. With the cattle panel one I just toss the hay over the side into it. Works great.

MotherClucker

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Thanks so much - this is exactly what I am looking for.....I've been 'making' do for a few years now and am ready to build a 'real' goat feeder! lol

I feed pellets mostly - but alfalfa also - so would like to come up with something that I could do both with -these look like they might work. I'd also like to get the feeders under the shed roof, but be able to feed from outside the pen - so again, these look great to me. I'm going to print a copy for my boys to study!

Thanks so much for your quick reply, MotherClucker. :)

Niki

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I like that hay feeder, MotherClucker. I built a keyhole feeder for my does, but I'm in the process of finishing up their new shelter, and was thinking I'd like to do something different up there. I think I'll try something similar to your hay feeder (I already use cattle panels for everything else, why not that, too!).

Kathleen

5. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Thanks guys:-D. My dad was the one who did the main stuff...I just brainstormed it and he made it work :) . Dezeeuwgoats I LOVE my alfalfa feeder! It works wonderfully! I got the design from Chris/MilkingMom but adapted it to be on the wall and changed a few things. You could even use cattle panel instead of the wood bars if you wanted probably although the wood seems sturdier for them shoving up against it. Now if only I can build a good mineral feeder I will be happy (any ideas?).

If you want tomorrow I can get some better photos of all three of my feeders. Some inside looks and what not...

MotherClucker

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Premier Sheep Supplies has plans for some nice feeders. I just look at all the ones I can and get ideas from them. One thing I would do is keep the hay and grain feeders seperate. The ones I built to handle both seem to always have hay in the grain trough that either covers it or just gets in the way of filling it
    http://www.premier1supplies.com/

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

When my does come inside for the evening/night, they are kept in pairs in 6 X 6 paneled pens (like at shows). I use 3' sections of hog panel in the corner, with pans hung inside for grain/pellets. They're bred and dried off now so being grained in the pen, while milking they only get grain on the milk stand am and pm. The hog panel lets them stick their head in and get the grain/hay without making a mess. This only works for dehorned goats. For horned goats I use hay bags set low so if they get stuck in them they aren't going to hang/strangle, they just lay down and wait for me to come and free them. Out in the nanny yard I fastened 4 sections of hog panel together over a roofing paper covered wood pallet, and put a piece of metal roofing over the top. Cheap hay feeder. Costs less then $20 if you can scrounge the roofing and pallets for free.

8. ~PrairieGirl~

~PrairieGirl~ Well-Known Member

My feeders aren't anything fancy but they have cut the hay waste considerably :) I cut a section out of the side of a 50 gallon barrel and then placed fencing wire inside lengthwise so it leaves a little dish in the front for waste to fall into ,, there is also a cinder block in the back to keep they hay up and keep the barrel from being tipped, you could also put a feed in the front section if you wanted. I can take some pics and post if your intested in seeing it.

9. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Wach out with keyhole feeders and that cattle panel feeder; Goats can be very hurt in them, though I'd imagine less so in the cattle panel feeder becuse they are still able to see; With keyhole feeders goats are often injured when they can't see to get out of the way of bullies. But either way it's a risk that must be taken into account.