Any help with something called trich strongyles please??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kath2003, Jun 20, 2006.

1. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me what this is? I'm pretty sure its lung worms isn't it? Thank you,
    Also, anyone ever heard of barber pole?

2. DWIGHT DUNCAN

DWIGHT DUNCAN Active Member

I think you may be combining two different parasites.
    Strongyloides stercorales is a parasite of man sometimes called the threadworn. Infective stage larvae of Strongyloides usually enter the body by way of the skin, passed through the blood stream to the lungs, emerge into the air sacs then ascend the respiratory tree to the epiglottis, were swallowed and upon arrival into the intestinal tract, develop into the parasitic stage. Infective stage larvae are developed in the soil. People would become infected when skin contact is made with the organism.

Trichinella spiralis is called whipworm and is found in infected meat, classically pork. The parasite is transmitted by encysting in muscle tissue and used to be found in undercooked pork. The worms live in the intestine and discharge larvae that spread to any number of tissues, but become encysted in muscle tissue by the bodies defenses.

Now, how these apply to goats is something I cannot address for you.

Dwight

3. kath2003

Thank you dwight, the reason I asked on the goat forum is because I sold two of my goats to a woman last weekend. She emailed me today and said they don't have coccidia, which I knew, but they have this trichstrongyles thing. I got back to her and said that what I had found that to be was lung worm and they sure are healthy for having that. She then said, oh maybe I misunderstood what the vet said. Then she said she is testing for barber pole and she will let me know. I decided that I have gotten so much great info here I would ask.
    she just sent me this
    http://personal.linkline.com/karinc/goat/parasites.html

4. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

If I recall right barberpole is actually under the strongyles unmbrella of worms. Not that uncommon, I think it is a blood sucker and causes anemia.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I believe thats right and I think the best way to treat them is with Cydectin.

6. kath2003

I'm hoping she is just a little over zelous in her testing, I have never had any parisite problems here,lol. She is kind of freaking me out but they are chunky, healthy, gums look great!!