Any good website for growing your own mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Aug 7, 2006.

1. I went over to check out a new house site that I will be doing the electrical work on. These people bought 10 acres of wooded land to build a new house on. While there I saw where they had bulldozed all these trees off to the side of where the road and house will be sitting. I asked them what they was going to do with all these trees that have been bull dozed down. There response was "Well we're looking for someone who wants to cut them up for firewood".

:) I've now got a bunch of trees to cut up for firewood. But I'm also thinking of using a lot of the smaller branches and try my luck at raising mushrooms. A long time ago I seen a website where they were placing these tree branches, that are about 4 or 5 inches across and about 4ft long, in a teepee like form and growing mushrooms all over them. But I can't seem to find the site(s) that I was looking at. Does anyone have any web information.

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

You know, this is one of those things that would seem so cool to me, but it seems so labor intensive that I think God just does a better job in the wild.

I mean unless you are talking on a HUGE scale, I don't know if you could do it cost effectively. I saw a "Dirty Jobs" on mushroom growing, it was very interesting.

5. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

Get this book.

[​IMG]

Dan

6. Thanks everyone, that's the kind of sites I was talking about. Cowgirl did you sell any? I've been thinking of ordering the 10,000 lot but am wandering if I can eat that many during harvest time. I live way out here in the sticks so I don't know if I can find a close market for them. But I love eating the wild oyster mushrooms and just don't seem to be able to find enough to get tired of.

I guess anything is worth a try once.

7. cowgirlone

R.H. I didn't sell any, just grew a few for our own use. It's been a few years since I've ordered any, I have a big enough morel patch to harvest enough for winter use so I kind of quit growing them.

If you decide to grow them, keep us posted! :)

8. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

cowgirl, if you need help picking those morels i volunteer. :) i always wanted to do a morel tour starting in the smokies and going northwest to the mississippi valley. then looping northeast into michigan and then back home to pa.

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

That sounds like it would be a great adventure, but I think you would weary yourself trying to get permission from the owners of all that land.

10. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

We were going to do some util we decided to move. These folks supply a few of the profitable mushroom farmers that we spoke to.

http://www.nwmycol.com/

11. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Extra mushrooms dehydrate very well.

12. chicky momma

chicky momma Well-Known Member

Hey r.h..
    One of my egg customers grows shiitake and oyster mushrooms. Doesn't sound like he does a lot of work on them. He gave me a picture of the logs with the shrooms growing on them. He says if they grow they grow. And God decides when.
    We have a deal he brings me what he has and I sell what I can at the market. Then we divvy up later. This last weekend sold $20 worth of oysters. Too bad you live so far away. Lisa

13. cowgirlone

I'll keep you in mind MELOC! :)
    Susie, that's what I do, I pick enough to dry and use all winter. The morels rehydrate so well, just about as good as having a fresh one. :)

14. Dehydration! That's right, I forgot that a few years ago I found a big bunch of wild oysters and dehydrated some of them. They stored very well and were easy to rehydrate. We used them in soups and casserole dishes.

I guess 10,000 plugs wont be too much after all. By golly I'm getting anxious to go cut me some logs now.

Once again thanks everyone for your replies and websites. Very much apprecieated.