Any good ways to make cabbage?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Jan 22, 2007.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Okay, don't laugh at me..well if you do it's okay too LOL :D

1) How do you clean a cabbage?

2) Are there any good ways to cook cabbage (minus tomato..we have GERD really bad)?

3) Could you share any cabbage recipes with me?

I've always avoided cabbage since I've gotten sick from MIL's (she always adds like 20000 pepper balls..gerd ahoy lol!).

I can get an entire head of it here for 1.17 euros there about, not too shabby. I'd really appreciate any help on cabbage I can get lol!

Thanks!

Kat

2. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Shred the cabbage, cook in salt water, add cream of mushroom soup, little milk and velveeta. Crush up ritz cracker, melt stick of butter and add to crackers. Put that on top and bake in the oven til hot and bubbly. MMMM!!!

3. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Coleslaw... if I had a decent recipe, I'd share, but mine always comes out all strange. :grump:

If you're making chicken soup, it is SO good chopped and stirred in. Grandma did this thing with breakfast sausage, cabbage, carrots and I think potatoes, kind of a stew, but darned if she remembers the recipe.

To clean it, pull off the leathery leaves on the outside. I then chop mine in half widthwise and cut around the core on the bottom half, don't get how to core a whole cabbage.

Check www.cooks.com, too....

4. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

We use cabbage as a "cheater vegetable". It goes into stir-fries, sloppy joes, etc. and is used on sandwiches instead of or along with lettuce. It is especially good for sandwiches made ahead of time since it won't wilt & make the bread soggy as lettuce does.

We also use it in salads.

It is also very easy to add to thick, blended drinks or juices - as long as your juicer or blender will really grind it up - it is pretty sweet and often goes completely un-noticed (except by your body).

Cabbage is also a really good food extender - adds bulk without really changing much of the flavor of the dish.

Cabbage is supposed to be good for colon health but that probably is most applicable to those that consume the entire fiber (even if ground up) vs. just the juice.

5. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Kat..heres my favorite way and it is so easy and yet so tasty. I cut a head of cabbage into about 1 inch wide strips. I put a couple of tablespoons of virgin olive oil in my cast iron skillet. I season with salt and pepper. Put the lid on and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes...stir from time to time and you can tell when the cabbage is tender enough to eat. YUMMY I love it this way.

6. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

cabbage rolls - sans tomato sauce
    Salt Pork and cabbage
    Cottage roll and cabbage
    coleslaw
    fried cabbage
    bubble and squeak
    sauerkraut

7. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I cook cabbage kinda like teresab. But I add a little water to the skillet and cover it- that way it steams it as it cooks and really turns tender. I also had lots of onions, and some salt and pepper. Uncover it after the water is gone and it's tender, and turn up the heat, turning frequently until the point that the cabbage is just starting to turn a little brown and changing smell (flavor) a bit.

8. auntielisababe

auntielisababe Well-Known Member

That's the same way I cook cabbage and it's so yummy. Sometimes I add in a bit of apple that I've peeled and chopped fine. my husband and children gobble it up.

Lisa

9. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a chunk o HAM,taters,onions,cabbage and put it in the crock pot, Bread and butter to sop
    Take a chunk o BEEF,taters,onion,cabbage,carotts and put it in the crock pot, Bread and butter fro sop
    Shredded cabbage a kielbasa,
    Shredded cabbage & brats
    Fried shredded cabbage and butter
    vinegar Cole slaw
    mayo Cole slaw
    just plain raw with salt

10. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

11. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown off some chicken in a skillet and remove from the skillet. Roughly shred the cabbage and thinly slice 1 onion. Saute the veggies in the chicken skillet for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken back in and cover. Cook until chicken is done and cabbage and tender. The cabbage will be brown and carmelized. It's delicious. I usually serve with mash potatoes.

12. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I cook mine like this also, only I fry 2 or 3 strips of bacon so I'll have some bacon grease in the pan then cook the cabbage in the bacon grease with one or two onions sliced. Cook covered stirring once in a while so it doesn't burn.

I like cabbage cooked just about any way there is to cook it.

13. diane

diane Well-Known Member

My most favorite way has always been what my mom called boiled dinner. Chunks of cabbage, onion, potatoes, carrots, ham with water in the dutch oven...cover and simmer until everything is tender. Season as needed and served with homemade bread and butter..........big favorite!!

I have a variety of slaws that I fix. My most favorite is a sort of sweet and sour one that I use mayo, equal parts sugar and vinegar, salt and celery seed for the dressing. I chop the cabbage, add some purple onion, dryed cranberries, and sunflower seeds and then dress it.

Homemade egg rolls with cabbage, meat scraps and other chopped veggies you like.

Stir fried in any number of stir fry recipes.

14. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

Ham with or without the bone, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage cook for a few hours, serve with biscuits or homemade bread. Divine!

Fried cabbage-I do the same Stevetx and tereseb, but I add butter to my olive oil and take the lid off to carmelize the cabbage. Ummmm! And you can add keilbasa or beef sausage to it too.

15. Elffriend

Elffriend Well-Known Member

I like it cooked in the same pot as corned beef brisket. I have made it a few times trying to get the same flavor but without the meat. Simmer wedges of cabbage in beef broth with a heaping TBSP of pickling spices until it is tender. Not quite as good, but still a nice flavor.

Chinese salad - shredded cabbage, thinly sliced scallions, slivered almonds, mandarin oranges, chow mein noodles and any bottle salad dressing that sounds asian, like sesame ginger. In the summer I add cooked diced chicken and make it a meal.

Curried cabbage - saute a heaping tsp of curry powder in a bit of olive oil. Add shredded cabbage, stir, and saute until the cabbage is limp.

16. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Melt some butter in a pan add cabbage that has been cut with the core on it still (to hold it together). Add some whole roasted garlic cover with lid to cook when the cabbage is brown on onw side flip it over cook til tender. Salt if you want serve immediatly yummy!!

17. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

We also like to fry some greasy hamburger, add a stick of butter, throw in some taters, shredded cabbage and onions and fry it up. Don't stop cookin' till you have the greasiest yummiest artery clogging mess you can imagine. It will be delicious. :) The cabbage and onions carmalize till it's almost like candy, really greasy candy.

18. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I'm rather boring -- I just boil it, drain it, and add butter and pepper.

My favorite way to eat it is stuffed cabbages, but since we have picky people here who don't like cabbage, it's more like porcupine meatballs cooked with cabbage chunks in tomato sauce seasoned with thyme and pepper. But you said no tomato, so never mind. :) Still...this is yummy and I get the acid tummy thing too so I just plan ahead and take my Zantac. ;)

19. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

Cabbage is our winter lettuce. We use it in salad when we no longer have lettuce as well as in soups, slaw, sandwiches and sauerkraut.

20. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Wow, so many great ideas! :D

Thank you all for the recipes! :D

Kat