Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in warren county and i need a goat vet.(not an emergency but i would like to find one before i need them.) the vet for my horse only does shots for goats. she gave me a name but they said they dont do goats. anyone have the name of a vet out here that deals with goats or sheep?

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
I used to live in Warren County, and I worked for a vet named Susanne Smith, out near a town called Milford or New Milford, town about 40 minutes from Harmony, NJ. (It was awhile ago). Anyway, she did large animals.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with Jim, learn to be your own vet, I used to use a large animal vet in Tranquility, NJ. Last I heard all the young vets were gone and the owner is not taking on any new clients. He wouldn't come out for me and other vets won't come out because they are too far away.

I order all of my meds and vaccines online. I have one natural hoof trimmer come out 4 times a year for my donkey and next year I have a shearer coming out for the sheep. But as for animal medicine I use books, the internet, and this wonderful website!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I actually asked the State guy that checks the animals at the auction this morning this same question. He had me call his office for a list of vets. It's not surprising they didn't have goats. She gave me two names of vets that care for sheep.. not goats, sheep. One will take goats if you bring them to the office. The other I didn't get in touch with. The first one suggested calling the same vet njredneckgirl and myself used to use. He no longer does goats...they are pet animals, not livestock. Go figure.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the one in tranquility is the one i called. nope, they dont do goats. luckily i am not squemish so i can probably do most of it....i am just clueless to what he needs.lol
i know he needs to be wormed and i know he needs shots. i just figured someone walking me thru it the first time would be good.....

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Doc Tallamy, Green Valley Veterinary Clinic, Branchville NJ 973-948-3885
or I have heard of someone using a vet they liked named
Dr Brash 2012304124
If you use and like the second one, let me know
I am in Hardyston NJ
Small World

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks chma4....i will put them on the call list. i just figure if i have a major emergency i would need a vet. wanna do it before an emergency happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts