Any experience with Yurts?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Coloradosteader, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Coloradosteader

Coloradosteader Active Member

We're thinking of moving down on the property earlier than expected and have decided to buy a Yurt to live in until the cordwood house is done. Does anyone have any experience with different manufacturers or pitfalls to avoid?
    We plan on living in it from March till possibly October of next year in the southern Colorado mountains at 8500ft, then using it as a guest house for a bit until we take it up to the Alaska property and do the same. I've found Pacific Yurts and Colorado Yurts, just wondering if there are others that come recommended etc.

Thanks,

Coloradosteader

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Our best friends have been living in one for about 3 years now. There's is a Nesting Bird. It's very nice and they love it. They were almost ready to buy a Pacific Yurts when they found out about Nesting Bird. There were some features that they liked better about the Nesting Bird. I don't remember what they were now.They go up quickly and you have some measure of portability with them, but they're more per sq. ft. than you can build something else for. It's a trade-off if you need the portability and need it up quickly.

They got the insulation package with theirs, but it wasn't enough. Even here in our mild winters it was cold in the winter. And it was really hot in the summer. The a/c just couldn't bring the temp down very much. After the second year, they added some insulation in the ceiling and that made a huge difference.

3. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Living in the "southern Colorado mountains at 8500ft" the temps can get down to what? Maybe minus 50 degrees? I would get several spare asses. :D

4. afrikaner

afrikaner Well-Known Member

WOW! Wonder if I can convinve the wife to live in one!
    I'll have a little yurt for the kiddies and a big yurt for us.
    :D

5. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I considered one, but by the time I calculated out all the costs, it was way too much for me.

I ended up building a small shed from a package (and if I were doing it again, I'd forget the package and just build a shed - pieceing all the small pieces together was a nightmare that would have been avoided if we'd just cut and fit our own lumber). The shed is quite comfortable and works well for us.

My neighbour down the way got a garage package and finished it as a house. Other people do that and then later use it as an actual garage.

Just check your options.

L

6. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I built two of them on Keystone mountain (about 10,000 ft) at the top of the lift up in Keystone Colorado. Its by Breckenridege. Don't remeber what kind they were. Its been close to ten years ago. They were gonna be used as shelter for the tubing area. Pretty easy to build. Round base, Then the thing accorded out . Lay the poles for the roof and drop the cover on it. you could ventrue up there and see how they are doing. I believe they had a stove in the middle
    What are you going to do about water and sewage. You'd have to insulate them pretty heavily. Gets pretty damn cold running to the outhouse in 20 below and 80 mph winds LOL

7. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

Don't buy one...build one! There are several excellent books available that give step by step instructions on building a yurt. Do a search on amazon and you should come up with several titles. I wanted to do the yurt thing but hubby put his foot down...sigh.

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

There is an ad in the very back of the new Mother Earth News for instructions on straw bale yurts. Sounds like it would be better for extreme temps.

9. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Mother Earth News had an article about a woman who built/lived in one. Has now sold it.

Having stayed in one on a vacation, I believe there are better ways to go.

I like the ideas stated of building/living in your garage, barn etc. Makes more sence to me than spending $ on something that can't be used double duty.

Just my penny thought. ;)