Any experience with sled dogs/pulling?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by BusyBees2, Jul 16, 2006.

1. BusyBees2

BusyBees2 Well-Known Member

I have a 7 month old Siberian husky who loves to pull (me, mostly!) and needs a job to do. I was thinking about maybe training him to pull the wagon (w/kids, eventually) and whatever else might make him happy.

I've done some online research but most of it is geared toward full mushing teams and/or pulling a skier. Those don't really suit my purpose. I think we're closer to those that haul weight, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm really thinking more for 'fun' rather than competition, etc.

Does anyone have any experience in what type of harness would be appropriate for us? There seems to be 3 main ones to choose from: X-back harness, H-back, and freight harnesses.

Any insight would be helpful. THanks

2. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Check out dogscooter.com :)

Lots of recreational pullers there with small teams or single dogs. :) I like the x-back harnesses but it really depends on how you're going to attach the dog- I use those with a bungie to a scooter or bike where the dog isn't providing all (or even much) of the impulsion- to exercise dogs with. :)

3. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

I don't do any myself but if you look under Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs, and or Bernese Mountain Dogs you might get some hits for single dog pulling. These dogs originaly pulled wagons as one of their duties.

4. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

5. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Awwww that looks fun, Rouen, too bad my doggies are 40 lbs and we have a ton of hills around here!

7. icpudummie

icpudummie Active Member

8. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

they say the limit to what a dog should pull is it's weight plus 100lbs, so one 40lbs dog could pull 140lbs.
    my dogs weight in at about 50lbs together and have no trouble pulling me and my bike up hills, infact Dingo barks like sled dogs do just before they take off.

9. CrownPoint

CrownPoint Well-Known Member