Any Experience with a Vitamix?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 1farmgirl, Jan 19, 2005.

1. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

Do you love it, hate it? Is it worth the extra $$$$$$$? Does it do what they claim? I was thinking about getting one, but would not want to spend that kind of money if it wasn't worth it.

Kathy

2. Jacki

Jacki Well-Known Member

I love mine. I use it for smoothies, soups, puddings, ice cream, chopping stuff, making jams and jellies, butter, nut butters, etc.

They are noisy, because of the size of the motor, but they are VERY easy to clean.

I want to get the flour jar, but haven't had the money to spare.

If you use a food processer, or blender, and cook from scratch, you will be veeeerrrry happy with a vitamix. They come with a lot of receipes, and all I have tried were good.

Jacki

3. DWIGHT DUNCAN

DWIGHT DUNCAN Active Member

I have had one for about 8 years. I do use it regularly. Its worth the money to me. It allows me to make use of all the different fresh produce we grow here in southern CA. My freezer is full of bags of bananas, pomegranite seeds, peaches, and nectarines. They make great smoothies.

Matter-of-fact, I just bought one yesterday on ebay for my sister in Portland because she has learned about the nutritional value of using one. She recently was confirmed to have diabetes and is searching out healthy ways to prepare whole foods.

I love making Winter Soup with the overgrown broccoli and cauliflower and other items in the garden this time of year: potatoes, garlic and kale. Its green and its tasty.

4. 1farmgirl

1farmgirl Well-Known Member

So, do you find your health has improved and that you are eating better? Or should I say it's easier to eat better? Can you really put just about any edible part of fruit/veggie and it ends up tasting ok? Sorry for so many questions.

Kathy

5. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

I use mine every morning. Throw in a banana, some berries (fresh or frozen) some skim milk, and 4 or 5 ice cubes for a wonderful smoothie. Cleans up in seconds. I also use it regularly for grinding wheat for flour. I don't think it does a very good job kneading dough, but I don't mind doing that by hand. It also doesn't really "grind" meat - more like shreds it. But I love my Vitamix, got it used on ebay for about $125. They last forever.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Going to have to get one.Ebay is the way,Ive checked em out before,big savings.

BooBoo

7. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I love my vitamix. I throw away nothing now since it is so easy to whip up soups and smoothies. The flour grinder works great. I fill it 3/4 water and a drop of dishsoap and turn it on and that clean it well with very little scrubbing. In my area they have demonstrations at Costco and at the LA County Fair. I watched these demos several times before buying. No problems with the machine. It is great for getting more fruits and vegies into DH's diet.
    Jodi

8. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Can someone please list the price of a new one......Thanks

9. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

mine has been great used it to make tomato juice last summer instead of the sqeeso just pureyed the seeds and all ,5$ at the flea market

10. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I really like mine too. Very much worth the money.

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

i use mine to make sauces thats about it. I use it for makking aple puree to cook butter and with other fruit like pears and peaches for butters.
    its like tossing stuff into a jet turbine so it liquifies skins and all real nice.

other than that its pretty useless to me anyway. a standard blender wont hanle the load or puree as finely as this thing does, so it suites it use.
    I made ice cream in it once with ice cubes and cream, it did that pretty well....
    as far as cooking soup with the "friction" like it says... ah get a pot and cook the soup, the blender can isnt that big.
    its worth the money of you can and make stuff requiring being pounded to a fine slurry.
    it is really noisy.

12. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I bought it at the LA County Fair for $495.00. They did give me the dry grain cannister though along with it. My advise is do not buy it unless you make room for it on your counter top. That way it will be used almost daily. :)
    Jodi

13. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I use mine a lot. I've had it for about 6 or 7 years now. Bought it at the State Fair. I have never regretted buying it. It does all it is advertised to do. We don't use it to make the soups. But do use it for smoothies. I love the way it makes salad dressings and marinades as it incorporates the oils like nothing else. If I ever lost it I would have to replace it. It is more than a blender.