any experience dealing with shock

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by CountryFried, Mar 8, 2004.

1. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

This must be the week for it....Ewe with lamb had crawled under an old shed and gotten her horn caught in a cinder block for the day , while we were at work. She's not due until late Mar.

This has tramatized her so bad she is in shock. The vet gave us some penicillin, and anti-inflammatory , which we gave in the muscle. She seems to have suffered nerve damage, as her head is pulled to the side that was stuck, her eye won't respond to blink on the opposite, also she cannot get up. Stares lifelessly ahead. We have put the blankets on her , offered food, water. Nothing so far. What do you think her chances are?
    Has anyone had one pull through anything like this?

Too much crazy stuff in one week !
    Sherry

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

How good are you at tube feeding? I'd either tube or drench in an electrolite mix. She is likey dehydrated. A Vit AD shot is not going to hurt, neither would B Complex. I have often given a drench of black coffee to ewes that are ailing, the caffien really helps get them going sometimes. Not too much as coffee dehydrates too. Maybe a couple of cup measures, and add some simple sugar like dextrose (anyone make beer in your house?) or corn syrup.

3. CountryFried

Thank you VERY much , you have been so helpful. I will plan on doing the tube feeding. I'm new at this , but I'm willing to try anything. I had read something re: the vit. A shot. I will look into it as well.

4. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

I am sure Ross is right that dehydration should be your concern just now. I would be wary though if she is not responding to stimuli (other than the blinking) be careful that any lquid you put into her goes to the right place and not into her lungs.

Is it possible she is paralized from the neck down?

5. CountryFried

She tried to walk, just strumbled everywhere , with us lifting and trying to carry her. This morning it's worse. Almost lifeless. I wish there was someway to take the lamb.

6. Ross

Lambs really need that last few weeks of development. You could ask your vet about a C section but I suspect I know the answer. It can be awfully hard to pull any animal back that is this far down, but if you have propylene gycol suppliment now is the time to use it. Otherwise drench/tube her with a saturated corn syup or dextrose mix with a bit of added coffee and even an antihistamine like Benadryl (adult dose). Another call to the vet never hurts.

7. CountryFried

Sad to say , but she died early this morning. I sure hated that. A real freak thing.
    We are going to enclose the area so they cannot get under there. I wish I could go back a day and make sure it hadn't happened. I suppose it is part of life..death, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Sherry

8. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

All of us have been through tragedies and triumphs with our animals. We learn from them both. You had a triumph when your ewe showed up with her lamb by her side. I'm so sorry for your tragedy with the loss of your other ewe. Hang in there, it might not get easier but you will grow from the experiances you encounter.

9. Ross

Sorry to hear about that Sherry. They can get to the point of no practical return quickly sometimes.

10. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

Sorry to hear that also Sherry! It is part of the natural cycle of the farm, but it is never easy or a trivial thing when you loose one!

We did have very good luck with using electrolyte + molasas drench with our sick ewe, and we put Karo syrup in a drench with milk replacer for weak lambs. When a ewe is down, it's very bad and it feels like a miracle if you can save them!

11. CountryFried

Thanks all for the condolences. I also appreciate the info as well. I plan on filing it, IN CASE , this should ever happen again. The electrolyte and molasses sounds good to try too , I need to have emergency supplies handy .