Any easy way to get paint off electric sockets?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Sep 5, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:rolleyes:

The people I bought this place from used rollers to paint the whole place Pepto-Bismol Pink.

And some people wonder why I got such a deal on it! :haha:

In any case, in addition to the walls, they roller-painted all the electric sockets. Meaning I have a mess of Pepto-Bismol Pink electric sockets. Which clash terribly with the sophisticated, muted yet cheery color scheme I've conjured up to chase off the Pepto Pink.

I've soaked all the face plates and gotten the paint off them. But now I want the paint off the electric sockets, too.

Is there any easy way to do this? Or do I have to continue meticulously chipping away at them with my nail file?

2. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

I always turn the breakers off and scrape with a screwdriver. It's usuallt fast and easy.

3. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Or paint faces on them.

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:haha: I'm surprised the previous owners didn't do that, given some of the other stuff they did!

Okay. Well, I'm not about to turn off the breakers because it's almost suppertime and I'm hungry and I need my afternoon tea and I'm cooking dinner. So guess I'm just going to have to keep going after them with the nail file. :waa:

5. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

You could paint them. :D

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Are we talking plain old porcelain light sockets? I don't even mess with trying to get paint off, I just replace them. They cost about a dollar apiece, and I like to check the electrical connections anyway and replace wire nuts at the same time.

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

But bare - I'm cheap. :D

Besides, with the money you're thinking I ought to spend on new sockets, I'm buying vintage light fixtures.

:yeeha:

Let me tell you people, the people who sold me this place thought they were dumping a lemon.

:haha:

Whenever I see them, though, they're usually looking a little green at the gills about it all these days. :yeeha:

8. bare

bare Head Muderator

Jeeze, how many fixtures are we talking here?

I'm cheap too, but my time is worth something. Besides if you throw them in your yardsale pile and price them at 3.00 each, you'll find someone that absolutely MUST have pepto-dismal pink porcelain light fixtures and will be happy to pay your price.

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Oddly enough, a whole mess of them. I swear, there's a light socket every foot or so.

:confused:

Well, there's that. But still ... for a couple dollars, I can get perfectly wonderful old glass light shades and globes to replace the higeous plastic stained ones here. Yeeelch.

Except that I'm too cheap to replace them and would rather spend that money on dusty old glass light fixtures at the junk store, fixtures that just need a nice little bath in the sink. :)

10. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I've used steal wool. The SOS pads, just make sure you do it after supper as you do want to turn the breakers off.

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

::lightbulb:: Wow. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks! I think that will do the trick!

12. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

You're welcome. What's for supper?

13. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

It's almost done and I am SOOOO HUNGRY!

It's an easy supper tonight because I've just spent two days painting those popcorn ceilings ( ::rant:: ::rave:: ). And I have five more rooms to go ( ::rant:: ::rave:: ).

So, tonight it's homemade lemonade and frittata made with very well cooked sweet onion (caramelized) and some avocado tossed in the pot just long enough to heat it.

I'm considering whooping up some pumpkin bread a little later. i mean, it IS a holiday. And what better an excuse to eat some good butter than hot bread? :D

14. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Have you tried it yet? How did it go?

15. bare

bare Head Muderator

Ssshhh! She's busy!

16. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:haha:

Actually, I AM busy -- desperately trying to grade a bunch of papers for tomorrow AND finish my lesson plans ...

... which, of course, if why I'm here! :haha:

But, no, I haven't gotten a chance to do it yet. I've gotten the room mostly painted but had to stop today to return to the real world :waa: :waa: :waa: .

17. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Oh, dear, I'm sorry. I had no idea. :(

18. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

No apology necessary. :)

Believe me, grading is a task which requires lots of breaks ... as does figuring out ways to cohesively explain in a single lecture MLA format, the geopolitics of pre-WWI England :confused: :confused: , major grammatical errors, Alfred Hitchcock and Edgar Allen Poe. And that's only one class.

Which may help you understand why I appreciate the breaks so much. :haha:

19. bare

bare Head Muderator

Oh piffle, if you think the gal needs a break now, just wait until she starts steel-wooling all those light fixtures.

20. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

One good break deserves another.