Any drummers out there?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Hears The Water, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Johnnie (14 yo ds) keeps hinting that he would like a drum set for Christmas. My mom who needs to "get rid of" the little bit of savings she has before she goes into the nursing home thinks that she might want to buy him a set. So....*sigh* I thought I would come on here and see if any of you play the drums or have family that plays the drums. From what I can see watching J when a song is on the radio, he can keep pretty good time with his "air drums". He also likes to take various objects from around the house like straws or hangars to make drumsticks out of and then makes drums out of containers. He likes how they sound. What do I need to know about buying drums? What do I need to know about having a person in the house (make that a teenager that has manic times) that plays the drums? I don't know if I want to do this, but I also hate to deny him this chance if we have someone that is willing to help fund it. Thanks in advance for your help.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Countrybumpkin

Countrybumpkin Well-Known Member

Being a drummer for years, air drums and the real thing are worlds apart!! That said, if he can keep a beat well, and seems to have the timing of the music down, he might turn out to be a decent drummer. I wouldn't worry about getting a big set-a small, starter set will get his feet wet, and allow him to get the skills needed to add drums and other equipment in the future. You might have to change out some drum heads should he pound too hard, but that is the price paid for learning! Who knows-he might just be the next superstar!

4. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

My daughter has a snare drum and practice pad that she hasn't touched in over a year. You can have it for the cost of shipping. IT even comes in a case, with a stand. All you will need to do is purchase drum sticks and turn him loose. (The rule here was, practice pad indoors, drum outdoors or a school). Let me know if u want it and we will figure out shipping and such.

5. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

If your DS is serious about this drum thing, make him start with a snare and drum pad and practice SOLIDLY for a year. Then I would consider an electric kit like a Yamaha (not cheap)that one can play with head phones or on a speaker.
    My DH is a serious drummer and he practices on a pad to warm up his "chops" . He plays an acoustic at church but plays his electric kit at home or with friends. It's also something he would recommend for students.

I love that he can play with headphones and I can read in the next room without going nuts.
    Crystal

6. Hears The Water

Thanks y'all. This is exactly the kind of advice I needed. I did not want to go out and buy a huge set (which looks realy cool) and then have him not be into it in a month due to his fickle nature or to have it torn up because he is not responsible. I did not even know that there was such a thing as a practice pad! Now I do. Ninn, check you pm box.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

7. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Ninn,
    What a nice thing to do.

By the way,
    "What do you call a person who likes to hang out with musicians?"

A Drummer! LOL

8. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Just wanted to agree with those who suggested a practice pad and snare. We got DS the pad first, then the snare. Once we knew he was serious about his paradiddles, he got the snare. He moved on to the full kit after a couple years.

Pony!

9. Hears The Water

See, this is why I come on here to ask questions. I have no idea about anything that pertains to drums. I have played them once when I friend had a set but that is it. And I admit that I take after my dad in that I go "Whole Hog" and would have probably started looking for a huge set when a pad and a snare would have been enough.

I think that I may know of someone who gives drum lessons and so I will check into that now too. My very sensitive ears and frayed nerves are very happy at the thought of a practice pad! I want J to have every oppertunity he can, but I shuddered at the thought of a full drum set in the house. I tend to be a bit ornery when it comes to wrapping presents, so I can have fun with drumsticks and then surprise him with the other things! Thanks again!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie