Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been breeding awhile now. Litters good healthy and sell fast.
But the people are just pains in the butt. Has anyone found a fast easy way to deal with the problem buyer? Im getting real good at knowing who is going to cause problems with the first texted or phone call. I use a puppy site to advertise all the puppies info and updated photos are required on the site. For the last week a lady has picked out the pup and then changed her mind to a different pup. Asked for endless photos of patents past pups and the pups available.Now tonight she said well hold them both till i know for sure.
Um no but thanks for looking.

·
Premium Member
26,655 Posts
Not a puppy but I had a problem with a $3 plant at a swap meet. All I could think was "you really want to hassle me over a stupid $3 plant"? I just told them the plant was no longer for sale.

You could just stop responding to her requests.

·
Registered
538 Posts
After that we just never bred again we just kinda wanted to see the outcome the most our dogs do is herding so we want more herding dogs instead of mountain dogs

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,136 Posts
Maybe some day but the breeder I have my current dog from had a neuter contract.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont get many haggling over price.
I don't offer a health guarantee I do have pups health checked and give a health certificate. I Encourage buyer to take puppy to their vets in the first 5 days of pick up ,if the check up finds something return pup for refund within the 5 days. Never had it happen. Parents health checked and DNA testing for breed and health issues. My vet tells me genetic test on pre 6 month old pups is worthless.
Anyone use a health guarantee? Most I've looked at really are a lot of words that state whats Not covered in that breed. Just with this litter about half the people that contact me are asking about a guarantee.
Might be the covid puppy fad is over and folks are thinking more about spending their own money as apposed to the stimulus check.

·
Premium Member
26,655 Posts
They weren't hassling me over the price. It was something like bloom period or color or some nonsense. I just put the plant in my van and said it wasn't for sale.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I dont get many haggling over price.
I don't offer a health guarantee I do have pups health checked and give a health certificate. I Encourage buyer to take puppy to their vets in the first 5 days of pick up ,if the check up finds something return pup for refund within the 5 days. Never had it happen. Parents health checked and DNA testing for breed and health issues. My vet tells me genetic test on pre 6 month old pups is worthless.
Anyone use a health guarantee? Most I've looked at really are a lot of words that state whats Not covered in that breed. Just with this litter about half the people that contact me are asking about a guarantee.
Might be the covid puppy fad is over and folks are thinking more about spending their own money as apposed to the stimulus check.
I don't think I would worry about a health guarantee if they are vet checked. Sounds like you have high dollar dogs. Just stand your ground and don't deal with the problem buyer nonsense.

·
Registered
10,659 Posts
We priced our pups so as to help filter the rif raf and find good homes. It wasn't so much about the money. My wife wouldn't allow me to sell a dog unless she met the people and gave me the ok.
We offer no guarantees. We provide records and contact with the dogs and their parents.
I will however take a dog back that the owner can no longer care for.
We post photos of each pup plus the parents and we update the pup photos as they are growing.
We have all the initial shots and worming done and then a follow up for secondary shots/worming and a wellness check 3 weeks later. We provide a record book for each buyer with the dog's vaccination history.
Regarding problem buyers, we don't give much slack to anyone. I am too old to give my time to those who don't value it.
There was a woman who contacted us and just had to have a dog. Her son had lupus and it would be his companion.
She said she would call us later that afternoon on her way over. That was on Monday.
Friday she calls. The pup she wanted was sold. I told her I called her number but no answer and no VM. She says she is on her way for another one and will be there between 10-noon. Fine, text me and I'll put our dogs up and open the gate. By 12:30 I considered her a no show. I called her. No Answer. I texted her. She says her son had an episode and she is heading to the hospital. She'll get back with me. At that point there was no need.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I offer health guarantees when I breed. I wouldn't buy a dog from someone that didn't. That isn't a slam on people that don't offer them. I just buy from people that do.

As far as weeding out the PITA customers, as you said, it's usually fairly easy. I don't breed for the money, so it's easy for me to say "I'd rather not sell you a puppy" than it is to have any hassle. A good puppy contract that has everything spelled out is good insurance. Puppy applications are also a good idea, but I haven't done that up to now. They are also good insurance.

In my experience, they are as many bad breeders as bad customers.

·
Registered
10,659 Posts
The contract I wrote states they will not resell the dog before contacting me.
I bought a beautiful AKC Collie pup 10 years ago for $75. They were farmers who no longer wanted to breed dogs. For that price I got the dog and a towel to dry him off with before my wife got into the truck. No paperwork. He carried the MDR1 gene, meaning no ivermectin, permethrin, etc.
I put everything in writing and before anyone hangs up the phone or clicks off of their computer, they will get full disclosures. I also am the type that will shake their hand after the transaction and that means more than any signature.
If I am selling Curs, I want them to have a good home.
If I am selling registered dogs, I want to sell them to folks who already know the breed.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We priced our pups so as to help filter the rif raf and find good homes. It wasn't so much about the money. My wife wouldn't allow me to sell a dog unless she met the people and gave me the ok.
We offer no guarantees. We provide records and contact with the dogs and their parents.
I will however take a dog back that the owner can no longer care for.
We post photos of each pup plus the parents and we update the pup photos as they are growing.
We have all the initial shots and worming done and then a follow up for secondary shots/worming and a wellness check 3 weeks later. We provide a record book for each buyer with the dog's vaccination history.
Regarding problem buyers, we don't give much slack to anyone. I am too old to give my time to those who don't value it.
There was a woman who contacted us and just had to have a dog. Her son had lupus and it would be his companion.
She said she would call us later that afternoon on her way over. That was on Monday.
Friday she calls. The pup she wanted was sold. I told her I called her number but no answer and no VM. She says she is on her way for another one and will be there between 10-noon. Fine, text me and I'll put our dogs up and open the gate. By 12:30 I considered her a no show. I called her. No Answer. I texted her. She says her son had an episode and she is heading to the hospital. She'll get back with me. At that point there was no need.
I do keep a do not sell to list as well. People that are no shows no call go on it. Ill start my pain in the butt now.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,136 Posts
Good breeders who health test seldom make much profit, if any-- I love baby animals but don't think I need the extra stress!

·
Registered
568 Posts
The contract I wrote states they will not resell the dog before contacting me.
I bought a beautiful AKC Collie pup 10 years ago for $75. They were farmers who no longer wanted to breed dogs. For that price I got the dog and a towel to dry him off with before my wife got into the truck. No paperwork. He carried the MDR1 gene, meaning no ivermectin, permethrin, etc.
I put everything in writing and before anyone hangs up the phone or clicks off of their computer, they will get full disclosures. I also am the type that will shake their hand after the transaction and that means more than any signature.
If I am selling Curs, I want them to have a good home.
If I am selling registered dogs, I want to sell them to folks who already know the breed.
Handshake agreements are fine, but can fall apart quickly when a $3,000 dog shows up with dysplasia 2 years after the handshake. A lot of breeders' contract says they will replace a dysplastic dog, but they want you to return the dog and they will replace it with a new puppy. Fine, but who wants to give up the friend and companion they have had for 2 years to have the breeder put it down? That is as good as no guarantee because most people will just keep the current dog (the people that wouldn't, I don't want to sell a dog to). The dog can have dysplasia and possibly have a good life for 8 or 10 more years. The breeder I got my last dog from will give you a new puppy if your dog turns out to have dysplasia or other congenital defects and you keep the current dog, you just have to prove you neutered the dog before you get the replacement puppy. That is the kind of breeder I want to work with.

Not saying you (or anyone else) don't do it correctly, just giving my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
When I raised Anatolian Shepherds, I didn't let folks "pick" until right before pick-up. (usually when they were 7 weeks old) I would advertise pups, filter out the folks that wanted a livestock guardian because "oh gosh, those are so cool, I'd love to have one in my apartment in the city", and took deposits from people that were looking specifically for a guardian. First deposit received got 1st pick, 2nd deposit received got 2nd pick, and forth. I updated my site with photos and updates on the pups. Had buyers back out at last minute when they didn't get to pick until pick #9, but I always had a waiting list so no pups where ever left looking for a home.

·
Registered
568 Posts
When I raised Anatolian Shepherds, I didn't let folks "pick" until right before pick-up. (usually when they were 7 weeks old) I would advertise pups, filter out the folks that wanted a livestock guardian because "oh gosh, those are so cool, I'd love to have one in my apartment in the city", and took deposits from people that were looking specifically for a guardian. First deposit received got 1st pick, 2nd deposit received got 2nd pick, and forth. I updated my site with photos and updates on the pups. Had buyers back out at last minute when they didn't get to pick until pick #9, but I always had a waiting list so no pups where ever left looking for a home.
People are really funny about that. No one wants the last dog in the litter. The don't realize that most people that picked before them liked a certain color, or the one that is the biggest, or smallest, or the one they picked looked like a dog they had when they were a kid, or the puppy looked at them first. Very little real criteria is involved when most people pick a puppy and there is just a good a chance that the last puppy is best as that the first one was.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
People are really funny about that. No one wants the last dog in the litter. The don't realize that most people that picked before them liked a certain color, or the one that is the biggest, or smallest, or the one they picked looked like a dog they had when they were a kid, or the puppy looked at them first. Very little real criteria is involved when most people pick a puppy and there is just a good a chance that the last puppy is best as that the first one was.
Absolutely! I quit breeding because of the people. Simply not worth my time and energy. The best dog we've ever had was given to me by my farrier. He and his wife raised Border Collies. The last of the litter was colored a little different from what most people want. He couldn't find a buyer. Showed up to shoe my horses one day and said "here, I have a gift for you." Jake, that's what I called him, was awesome. And the 5 year old chocolate lab I have now, was the last of the litter as well. I tell her all the time she's the best dog ever!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts