any different uses for milk crates?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, Sep 29, 2004.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Somehow I have accumulated more than a dozen milk crates. I've used a couple for storage, but have more than I need for that purpose. Does anybody have any other uses for these things (that seem to be breeding :haha: ) Or should I just toss them.

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

They make good nest boxes for chickens.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Yikes! Don't toss them! They make good stools when you have too many people over and not enough chairs -- or when you need to reach something in a high cupboard. File folder hangers fit in them, so they can be used for storing old papers -- or projects you are working on and want out in plain sight. They work for storing pattern and material, preps, water bottles, and many other things. If you don't need them, see if you can trade them or give them away, but don't throw them away! Oh, we've also used them to support boards for bookshelves -- better than concrete blocks as you can put stuff in the crates and not have the space wasted.

Kathleen in Oregon

4. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Don't toss 'em! even if you can't use them they will come in handy for anyone who deals with children (daycare, nursery school or sunday school teachers) they can always use them to store supplies. Also, as a former Girl Scout and Cub Scout leader I can tell you I was always looking for boxes to store supplies.

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i stood them on end used the nylon dip strape to hold them together then i put a screw threw a washer and securd them to a wall great shelfs 2 pices of board and another on top and slide that in to devide them

6. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Oh Goodness! Send them my way. We put two (they fit perfectly) in the wagon and use them for gathering the garden produce, apples, etc.. We use them to stack up different things in the garage. Oh goodness the ideas are endless. We used them for the chickens to nest in. I put one in my car and have wipes, rags, bottle water..etc.. a bit of an emergency kit. Keeps everything together and nothing rolls around. I'm always looking for good milk crates!

7. OD

OD Well-Known Member

We strapped one to the front of the 3-wheeler with bungee cords to carry fencing tools, water jug, or whatever. DH keeps his woodcutting stuff in one. Wedges, small hatchet, measuring tape, gloves, etc. He has to carry a 20# propane bottle in his truck to run his forge, & he puts it in a milk box to keep it from rolling around. It's a perfect fit.

8. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

my daughter uses them as a bed frame.. lines 4 up on each side, slaps a piece of plywood down and then her mattress.. makes storage under her bed

Lynn in Texas

9. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I use them in the root cellar. They're perfect for storing potatoes, apples, and winter squash.

Stacy in NY

10. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

Gosh, now I am wishing I had some! LOL

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was a kid we used to stuff them full of pine straw, stack them and make playhouses out of them. Sure wish I had a bunch of them to store magazines in as they are the perfect size.

12. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I stacked them on there sides, 3 crates high and use them for as cubbies for my kids school books. I wish I had more too!

13. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Use them for nest boxes. Turn one upside down and put the chicken waterer on top to keep the hens from scratching dirt into the water. Put a plastic bag down in it, poke some holes in the bottom, fill it with dirt and use it as a planter.

14. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

I put my gourds in them to dry as I make gourd baskets...Joan

15. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 36 of them turned on their sides and stacked floor to ceiling to cover one wall of my work room. They are the perfect size to hold my craft magazines, my pattern books, folded material for sewing projects, etc. I'm looking for more to do the other wall. LOL

16. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

I love the older heavy duty ones. They work well for all sorts of things. I frequently use one in the barn as a step stool, I would love to have more!!
    Denise

17. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

my dh made a closet out of milk crates once by stacking them 4 or 5 high and attaching a dowel across the top. we have used them for bed frames, shelving, storage in the deep freezer to keep stuff organized, oh the list goes on forever. i used to have one that i attached a piece of plywood to the top of for a step stool back when i drove a large 4 wheel drive truck...it really helped when i stopped to check the oil and such.

18. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

"they are also wonderful for putting extra plumbing, hose fittings, electrical stuffies and not only stack nicely but you can see through them" ..least that is what my husband tells me as he takes another one of my precious milk crates out of my sewing room.

I do use them to stand on and I never thought about using them for my vegetables! looks around to find more...now where can I put my DH (the D doesn't stand for dear) junk and take my milk crates back!

19. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I have tiles stacked in some awaiting bathroom completions, electrical connections in another, plumbing connections in another, ceiling fan parts, etc. It makes sorting easier.

Also I keep one in the back of the van to keep the water jug from spilling and we always take several camping: one for canned goods, one for pots and pans, etc. and then stack them at the end of the park picnic table to form week-end kitchen cubbies (throw a tarp over them) and each of us get one for a cot-side table in the tent. Oh, and we have one for swim fins, masks, snorkles, sun block, floats and the inflator that plugs into the cigaret lighter. I still need more!

20. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

I use four in the shed to support shelves. One in the garden for a veggie washer (turn hose on carrots and wash off dirt--dirt and water return to garden), also use one in garden as a stool to sit on while picking beans, etc. In thehouse, one is stowed in the closet to hold all the vacuum cleaner attachments and bags.