Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got an Aussie/Coonhound mix.I know a bit about Aussies,but really don't know a whole lot about coonhounds.Never really "met" any,and was wondering if anyone here had any tips on them,&/or experiance w/ them. Sophie is a sweet little gal,w/ the merle color of her Aussie Mama but the short coat of a coonhound,and today she was "baying" at my little 4 year old son,wanting out of the dog pen to play with him. Seems very smart & learns quickly.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,677 Posts
I have a Bloodhound /Coonhound mix that is one of the smartest dogs Ive ever owned.
He gets along great with all the other animals. I think youll enjoy her.

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Coonhounds are very noisy dogs and mellow in the house but not as mellow outside. Since your dog is half coonhound...it will chill out the other half and possibly give the pup reason to wander. Coonhounds do not do well without fences..they wander because they want to instinctively hunt. They also are smart but often stubborn about being housebroken. On the plus side, they get along with everybody!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Coonhounds vary in temperment and qualities by breed, they are generally driven by their nose, aren't afraid of much, and can sometimes be aggressive. As has already been pointed out they do like to wander if not restrained in someway. When you get a hound mix it is kindof a guess as to which traits will be dominant. Many people think that hounds are stupid because of their nature, they are not stupid just stubborn. It sounds like though that your dog is going to make a fine addition. One thing to be aware of with their long droopy ears hounds are prone to ear problems this can be avoided by cleaning the ears at least weekly. If you detect a foul odor from the ear there is probably an infection which obviously must be dealt with. There are commercial solutions you can purchase but white vinager or hydrogen peroxide seem to work as well and obviously are much cheaper. Hope you enjoy your new dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts